The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Results

Total number of responses as of about 10:30 this morning: 233

16 respondents named two titles, with no clear preference indicated.
2 people said they wouldn't buy any of them.
3 respondents named an alternative project but gave no choice from among those presented.

All other respondents' first choice only counted:

How to Choose a Digital Camera: 5 votes
Classic 35mm Photography: 21 votes
Camera Lenses: 42 votes
Game Theory for Photographers: 144 votes

Thus, the "Game Theory" idea got more than twice as many votes as the other three titles combined. You have spoken—and my mission is clear. Many thanks.



Blogger David said...

I was going to post a long rant about how I hate sports metaphors and find all those "Inner Game of..." books horrific, because they combine sports metaphors with pop psychology, which is even more revolting than sports metaphors by themselves, but I figured I would try to be positive (I voted for the book on lenses), and I didn't want to get in the way of your marketing survey, so I won't mention it.

--David A. Goldfarb

10:50 AM  
Blogger dasmb said...

Wasn't my first choice, but I'm sure you'll do a great job. I'll be buying a copy when it's finished, if only to pass on to one of my slacker friends as an incentive to get out and capture.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Irenaeus said...

I'm with the 3 who wouldn't buy any, not because I think them unworthy but because I can only read so much each day. Learning curves and working on pics takes all I've got .

Therefore, what I'd be interested in is a book on all that surrounds the actual making of photographs — from soup to nuts — in this digital age. What is the absolute minimum of hardware, software, paper and expense that one should have to get at least decent results from decent files (or negatives?)

Thanks for your neat site — I check it out many times a day!

Tom Turnbull

12:40 PM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

"You have spoken—and my mission is clear. Many thanks."

Excellent! Popularity wins! Maybe it will be as enduring and classic as most Top 40 popular hits.

Which do YOU want to do?

12:44 PM  
Blogger ctyankee said...

When will it be done ?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

1:47 PM  
Blogger chrishphoto said...

I didn't vote but would have been most interested in "Game theory for photographers". I think that the title is appalling - without reading the description I wouldn't have had a clue what it was about. I'd probably have asumed that it was a book for sports photographers about capturing the decisive play!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I would also prefer the "game theory" book. Although the description of it doesn't match the 'real' definition of game theory at all, it's an interesting topic.

I think a lot of people are sick about reading about equipment ... which is why your site is so popular. One of the reasons equipment writing dominiates the internet is that there's a lot of equipment out there and it's easy to write about. Good writing about more useful and interesting topics is more rare and would be appreciated!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Vesa said...

Ok, I was late for the vote but I'm glad your readers chose 'Game Theory'. Certainly it was the most interesting book title for me also. Sincerely, Vesa from Finland

2:54 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Actually, game theory doesn't have much to do with sports. It a branchs of mathematics and economics. A reader named Sten put it nicely: "Game theory is about multiple players acting and reacting to each other's actions to get a better outcome for oneself from the game." The chapter on game theory from which the book would take its name is about how you might go about making yourself distinctive, noticed, and even successful in a field that's very overcrowded with other practitioners. This is a problem I hear from people about from time to time...there are a lot of people out there who feel their work is good but is being ignored. My use of the terms is colloquial--poetic, not rigorous--but in any event it's not a sports metaphor.


3:07 PM  
Blogger Max said...

You beat me to it by a second Mike! I was wondering if anyone would catch the meaning, but it might might be cryptic to most people.

3:11 PM  
Blogger jkniple said...

I was going to vote for the game theory.... so another for that..

But I would also like to see your perspective a few years from now on how digital technology is changing the way we take, view, edit, and experience photographs. You have had interesting takes on each of those topics and more..put them all together and it would be an interesting look at where the first 10 years of consumers and digital photography have taken us.

3:32 PM  
Blogger K.E. said...


I'm a bit late, but here goes.

Teaching people how to make good photographs is an area where almost nothing of real value is easy to find. It is very simple to find endless material on hardware -- since there are $$ to be had for those who tie themselves into the process of selling hardware at the same time they publish books, articles and web stuff.

But not so for "The Photo Game". I have often been asked, by friends and acquaintances, how to take better pix. Maybe I'm just weird, but my responses usually result in an odd stare from them -- as if I had just spoken in Swahili. People are willing to sit still for any amount of talk about hardware -- or camera features. But the concepts around selection, subject/background and most importantly -- light -- are so alien that I've stopped talking about it to people.

The book is really needed, but I don't know how you will be able to legitimize it for the audience.

Best of luck.

3:43 PM  
Blogger einmomentbitte said...

ok, so this Game Theory would be the next book to buy in case the Classic 35mm was out... :-)

3:57 PM  
Blogger john said...

I didn't vote either as I just read the post. How about considering this title. "Game Theory for Photographers utilizing Classic 35mm Photography". Sure to be a weighty tome, but a good book to read during the cold dark winter.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Dr Hiding Pup said...

Though I voted for it "Game Theory" as a title element smacks of some paranoid Cold War delusion...

Funny thing, titles: they need to sound fun, descriptive, be searchable (so you can find them browsing library catalogues), and not jar with the content of your book so that it trips up your reader's perception of it.

My first book got its second review this week - and the reviewer, though she loved it, couldn't help but take issue with the title. Oops. I'm glad I didn't keep the *first* title I came up with - suspect she'd have been appalled by that...

8:04 PM  
Blogger JanneM said...

I voted for the lens book. As I wrote in my comment, the current winner is a book I might be interested in, but only if I can leaf through it and see that it really does contain enough material I can find useful; the vast majority of such books are at the wrong level for me; addressing aspects I don't find interesting; or have a focus that excludes me (long chapters on the business and law of photography in the US isn't terribly useful anywhere else, for instance).

It is, in other words, not a book I would buy sight unseen. And considering the chances of the book ever showing up in an Osaka bookstore, most likely a book I will never buy.

8:28 PM  
Blogger David said...

but in any event it's not a sports metaphor.

Well thank goodness for that. I thought at first that you wanted to something with mathematical game theory, but then the line about helping photographers "improve their game" set off my antennae.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Jose Luis said...

I could not answer in time but my vote would have gone to the same option. Anyway here is one more opinion.

I have no doubt that, had you chosen the lens or the 35 mm option, we would have enjoyed absolutely delightful books. Your former writings led me to enjoy the pleasure of finding Takumars and Summicrons in flea markets or the internet and getting to use them with great results. But given the increasing difficulty to use film these books may not be that successful.

I don’t think there is enough material to write a book on choosing a digital camera; well actually there is too much material but the criteria to sort it may not be enough for a book. And as someone said, it would be outdated by the time you finished.

On the other side, there are not that many good books on becoming a better photographer that stay apart from the technical issues. I always remember your SMP articles in particular those about working methods and goal settings as the most lucid advise you can get in the Internet on what to do with your photos.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Just saw this now, what the market needs is a combination of your first two titles (they have already been covered... don't do it again!!!). "Classic 35mm photography as a basis for digital". A completely modern look at manual 35mm cameras and how thier use and functionality is found and exploited in a digital slr.

I started with digital, it took me several tries to get going and several new camera purchases. I finally made serious progress when I started doing everything manually with primes and bought a manual 35mm camera to play with as well. Much of what I had read and tried suddenly made much more sense.

The world needs someone to bridge the perceived gap between the old simple mechanical cameras and the new digi-monsters.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home