The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Friday, May 11, 2007

Pentax Retrenches

The news is filtering through from Japan that Pentax is scrambling to resist the takeover bid by Hoya. Imaging-Resource is reporting that Pentax will sell its valuable headquarters and research facility properties to raise cash and concentrate its business on the most profitable areas, including DSLRs. For one thing, this will probably spell the end of the company's film medium format camera lines. Still uncertain is the fate of the previously announced medium format digital camera.

On the other hand, the company is profitable and apparently no layoffs are planned, which bodes well for employee morale.

An official announcement from Pentax is expected today.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

5 Comments:

Blogger fivetonsflax said...

This may even be good news for us K10D owners, if it means they'll put more effort into developing DSLR lenses. How about some supersonic primes, guys?

10:48 AM  
Blogger UncloudedBeing said...

I'm saddened to hear of the potential demise of the MF line. Pentax has made some seriously fun cameras in that format.

1:24 PM  
Blogger huzur & urmuz said...

Although I own a K10D, which for the moment exceeds my photographic skills, I really want 645D not to be dropped. For me it looks like an affordable, even democrat, digital medium format (comparing its price with Hasselblad or Phase One) and I'm pretty sure there will be enough photographers interested in it!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Michael Seltzer said...

According to Michael Reichmann at the Luminous Landsape, Pentax is "deep-sixing" the 645 digital. Bummer. I made a bit of fun recently out of their continual announcement, but no delivery, of this camera. I admit I've been frustrated by this (perhaps not as frustrated as Pentax themselves have been), but only because I have been eagerly awaiting the product. Pentax makes good equipment and usually delivers it at good prices.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Ah well I suppose I could always hang on to 645 and shoot film. Now there's a novel idea.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home