The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Mark Brautigam

If you haven't seen Mark Brautigam's great "On Wisconsin" series online, have a look. Oren—who admits to having an attitude problem—points out that "self-conscious irony, in color, is all the rage these days," but these pictures resonate with me. In fact, I'd give a knuckle or two to be able to shoot like this guy.

And, not at all incidentally, I found this series through Joerg Colberg's well-loved and much-admired Conscientious blog. Conscientious is the favorite online destination of a great many committed photographers. If you haven't discovered it yourself yet, you're in for a regularly-repeating treat.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

8 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Anyone else feel like that railroad picture coudl have been 100x more amazing with a tilt shift "miniaturized"?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I don't see any irony. Is it because I'm from Wisconsin? I love the photos, they feel pretty straight up Wisconsin to me.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Roy said...

They resonate with me too; redolent of a topographic style that has a distinguished pedigree.

And I'll second the recommendation of Joerg's'Conscientious' - it's been on my daily reading list for a couple of years now, alongside this one.

There's an idea for a '10 must-read photoblogs' there...

7:33 AM  
Blogger Max said...

I think the "On Wisconsin" pictures are amazingly ambivalent. They have a straight up meaning, and tons of irony too. It's quite a feat, the author seems to mix a lot of naive spontaneity and sharp feelings inside.
On the Colberg's blog, it seems really sharp too. His passion seems to be too strong at points, I think Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will is an incredibly good movie, and that's what makes it so tragic. Art can be at the service of monsters too. And yes, there's a lot of that in Star Wars.

9:11 AM  
Blogger ADias said...

Is the picture showcased a photograph worth admiring or just a snapshot? I think the latter,and at that, a very mundane one, of interest only to the shooter and his family.

1:42 PM  
Blogger sam murphy said...

The picture on its own might not be worth admiring (i like it though), but the body of work as a whole, i think, is.

8:44 PM  
Blogger colegrovephoto said...

The shot of the women sighting the wrong way through that little point an shoots lens...Do you have the rest of the sequence?
Did she ever press the release?
Did the red eye strobe go off?
Man what a great shot!

In the 27 years I have been a professional photographer I have never seen a better or more provoking photo-journalistic image!

Best Regards,
Daniel Colegrove - Photographer
http://www.dcolegrovephotography.com

11:54 PM  
Blogger fabusdr said...

Hi there,
I also love Mark Brautigam style and palette, and his subjects.

I post a comment because Mark Brautigam wrote an article on Camera Obscura about his portfolio.

Maybe you want to have a look...

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home