The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Saturday, April 21, 2007

M'ate!

I spent part of the day today photographing hither and yon with a Leica M8, loaned to me by Mike L., a T.O.P.-reader friend from Minneapolis. He and I met in Madison the other day to look at work and talk photography, and he's apparently one of those admirable fellows who actually keeps his camera insurance payments current. So off I waltzed with his M8 and a couple of lenses, for a brief trial.

I can't imagine that more "tests" of this already-famous camera are needed or even wanted, so I imagine I'll restrict my eventual comments entirely to "user impressions." Mike needs his camera back on Friday of this coming week, so look for my comments to be posted on or near next weekend.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

5 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I can't wait to read of your experiences Mike. I am severely tempted by the M8.

2:28 AM  
Blogger Juan Buhler said...

I can't wait to read what you think of it, Mike.

I am extremely tempted to order one. The money is set aside for an M8 plus Voigtlander 35/1.7 (to complement the 28/3.5 and the Summicron 50 I already have.)

I really really don't want to spend all that money. But given how I can pretty much focus a Leica M with my eyes closed (heh), and how I'm increasingly annoyed at using a DSLR for street pictures, I might have to.

Please Mike, come up with a reason why I shouldn't! :)

3:08 AM  
Blogger Nemo said...

I would like to read comments about how the M lenses perform on the M8. The crop and the digital medium will change how these lenses "write" the photograph!

10:08 AM  
Blogger paul said...

I think it sounds like a gravel crusher. Can't wait to hear what you think...if the noise hadn't put me off I'd have one by now.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

Let us know how it stacks up to Tri-X

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home