The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Anthologies Old and New

Somewhere on the internet, somebody seems to be discussing my old book, Lenses and the Light-Tight Box. I only know because I've gotten a half dozen queries about it out of the blue recently. It is indeed still available from Lulu.

And I've just reduced the price from $27.00 to $19.99.

The book is a collection of some of my old magazine articles about cameras and lenses. Included are a history of Canon that Canon USA reprinted and distributed for free for a number of years; an article about choosing an arsenal of lenses; an explanation of how to read technical lens tests; a comparison of Canon's and Nikon's corporate philosophies; and "Leicaphilia," an encomium to the lore of the Leica. There are 21 chapters in all. The book is 8.5 x 11", about 60,000 words, 153 pages, and it's illustrated, although the reproduction quality isn't anything to write home about. Also, it's not scheduled for a second edition. (I only wish I could justify the time.)

It doesn't include any of the 36 editorials I wrote when I was Editor of Photo Techniques, the 100+ columns I wrote for "The Sunday Morning Photographer," the going-on-60 columns I've now written for the English Black & White Photography magazine, or anything I've written on this blog. Hmm, might be time for a new anthology....

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON