The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Wisconsin Stalwart

Head over to Badger Graphic...

...and check out the little message that flickers in and out in small print at the bottom of the page....

Posted by: OREN GRAD


Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

The message that flashes on my screen seems to read, "I see dead people."

5:53 PM  
Blogger MJMiller said...

I'm always amazed at the number of positive comments I receive when I wear my "Photovision - Got Film?" t-shirt. I think some film users think they're alone out there. Far from it.

9:23 PM  
Blogger m. said...

Funny thing is, I just bought my first-ever batch of darkroom supplies. At this stage I'm planning on just scanning the negatives, but it could all go horribly wrong from here.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Art said...

You might compare photgraphic film to Norma Desmond in "Sunset Blvd".

2:01 AM  
Blogger Player said...

Denial? Subliminal advertising? ;)

3:19 AM  
Blogger Mick Ryan said...

By any chance does the message say "China out of Tibet"? Because for some reason that website is banned in China and I can't view it. Mind you once upon a time so was TOP!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

right on!

7:17 AM  
Blogger ctyankee said...

Head on over to ...

... and see why maybe we shouldn't take this as the final word.

7:48 AM  
Blogger david vatovec said...

What is film and why it should be dead?

8:49 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

"Film is not dead"

Obviously not. But it's in a speeding ambulance.

Don't get me wrong, I wish for film lovers everywhere that it will survive forever. But reading for example Steve Hynes' excellent article in British Journal of Photography a few months back, the outlook is not so bright...

Have you ever wondered why there only ever was a handful of producers of film in the whole world? It's because a film plant is very big, extremely complex, and very, very, very expensive to run. There will never be a commercially viable film plant who produce film for a small number of people.

It has survived only on one thing: bulk. Somebody high up in the film production industry said recently that at the moment, cinema production is sustaining them. But high end digital cinema cameras are coming into their own *right now*. The writing is on the wall. I'm sorry.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Peter said...


Hybrid B/W film (shooting and processing), then scanning, and inkjet printing "works" fine. I cannot exaggerate how much (more) work it is though, compared to digital B/W. On screen I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't gotten to the point where I like the results as much as a regular print (even one done at a standard lab). However I'm not about to give up and start searching for enlargers. That being said I'm not entirely happy with my digital B/W either (although I do get more hits there) so I think it might be more a limitation of my printer, not the process.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

Yes, eolake is right! Just like painting (after photography came along), radio (after the TV), newspapers (after the internet), and albums (after CD's). Ok, last one not as good an example, but albums are still around, and they exist, no matter how "specialized" a niche it now is it survived. As will film.

Sorry, there's no "writing on the wall".

eolake, do you by chance have a really, really nice DSLR system? Seems these doomsday film predictions mostly come from those with LOTS invested in digital. Subconsciously, they want to see film disappear?

Over on people we're saying film will be gone, or extremely hard to find within 3-5 years. That was about 3-5 years ago.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Brambor said...

I still shoot or consider shooting film in the future but metaphorically speaking it is DEAD just like the parot in Monty Python's sketch.

1:52 PM  
Blogger SixBySeven said...

Sure.... film will die when the movie industry becomes fully digital. Oh and then there is that nagging issue of the third world... They buy tons of film! Going "Digital" requires access to resources that film does not need.

Film is another medium, and I bet it will be here for some time yet.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

Richard, let me add tube amps, wood guitars, neon lights, videotape, etc. If film takes as long to die as stretched canvas or vinyl records, I'm not worried. And if it does there's still glass and collodion, paper and eggs.

But I doubt it will come to that. There will be changes, for sure, as the market changes, but I bet film will be around for a long time.

Meanwhile, I just tried my first roll of Arista/Fomapan 100, and I think I like it.

6:01 PM  
Blogger H_Leighton said...

Did you also notice this on the website:

PIXMA Pro9500 Printer
Available Spring 2007!!
In one giant leap, the all-new PIXMA Pro9500 takes your work from merely ''beautiful'' to ''extraordinary.''
Price: $849.00

11:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

There's still no release schedule for the Pixma 9500. IOW, don't hold yer breath or you'll turn blue....


3:26 AM  
Blogger Dave M said...

My work will go from from merely ''beautiful'' to ''extraordinary'' for only $849.00? Where do I sign up?

Here I've spent decades working, reading, learning, unlearning, practicing, practicing some more...and all I need is $849? I feel like a chump.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home