The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Sigma DP-1 Imminent?

by Allen George

I know Mike has been agitating for a DMD and has mixed feelings about the Sigma DP-1.* That said, I believe it's the first large-sensor fixed focal length "compact" out there. It also looks like Sigma has listened to initial knocks against the camera, adding an external hot-shoe and optional optical viewfinder. I believe that decision speaks volumes about Sigma's attitude and responsiveness towards its customer base.

The DP-1 is an interesting release from Sigma. Even more interesting when you take a look at their newest lens—a 200–500mm ƒ/2.8 (!!). I think these two products are design statements more than anything else. Sigma must be aware that the market for these products is extremely small, yet they've gone ahead and created them anyways. Good for bragging rights and raising their stature among serious photographers. I think they want to be seen as more than just a "third-party lens maker" and these products are steps towards that goal.

There's an interview at LetsGoDigital in which Kazuto Yamaki, the COO of Sigma Japan answers some questions about the DP-1. His comments make for interesting background reading.


*Mike Comments: Hey, I try not to have reservations about cameras I've never seen. I think it's very interesting that the latest pictures of the DP-1 show a hot shoe and an accessory finder, and there's no question that the DP-1, when it gets here, will be the closest thing by far—I mean by far—to the "DMD" I proposed more than two years ago. I say, bring it on—I can't wait to see it and try it.

ADDENDUM: José S. has found an online "prix non contractuel" in France for the DP-1 of €779.

Featured Comment by Austin: Keep in mind, this is a digicam. ƒ/4 is by no means a bright lens, but if you consider the fact that mirror slap is not a factor with this camera, it really isn't too bad. Would you honestly rather your catch-all, be-all DMD had something like the new Leica 25mm ƒ/1.4 monstrosity dangling off the front of it? Or, worse, that Sigma went the way of the Ricoh GR-Digital, and promised marvellous specs only to deliver the mediocre?

I guess my point is, props to Sigma for at least being realistic, and trailblazing the DMD market. I personally am not that turned off by the dim lens (I've got pretty steady hands), especially with that beautiful sensor, so I guess at the very worse it makes a fun little experiment we can play around with.


Blogger Curtis Clegg said...

My browser didn't line that URL - try this one that includes a forward slash at the end of the URL. The article is good reading, thanks.

10:51 AM  
Blogger dasmb said...

Ok, I admit it -- I want one.

My first camera EVER was a fixed focus, 28mm equivalent panorama camera my dad got free at a trade show. I took a lot of really fun, dramatic pictures with that camera.

This looks like something similar for the digital age. Not quite the fast, 50mm equivalent portrait machine some of us hope for. But an interesting tool with a lot of possibilities, small size, and backed with a Foveon sensor -- something we've all wanted to play with, I'm sure.

Plus it looks pretty cool with that viewfinder.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Thomas D. said...

I commend Sigma for going into this niche market. I'm still a bit surprised there aren't any other players there yet.
The DP-1 looks interesting, and I guess no camera is perfect, but a prime lens with a max aperture of f/4? There goes my low light street photography...

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jedrek said...

So far, I can only see one problem with this camera -- the f/4 lens. Coupled with Sigma's tradition of poor high-ISO performance, that could be a show stopper.

I'm also curious about it's RAW writing speed - something that has plagued the Ricoh GR-D.

11:19 AM  
Blogger ANDREW! said...

Any word on the expected price of this camera?

11:28 AM  
Blogger Espen said...

This is so close to the camera I'm wishing for. But f4?

Still, I love the initiative!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Peter Hovmand said...

Well, this is definitely a step in the right direction for a DMD! But we would like a normal prime as well. Something like 40mm and I would be happy.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Xian said...

My only concern is the relatively slow lens. The Ricoh GR-D managed a f/2.4 lens.

1:08 PM  
Blogger doonster said...

I'm right there in the queue behind you. My pefect pocket cam is almost everything you spec for the DMD. This Sigma looks very interesting, especially with the additions.
all we need now is the dedicated B&W pocket cam & I'm set.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

The only thing that bugs me about that camera is their exaggeration of the megapixel rating of their cameras. They always take whatever number they have from x-by-y and multiply it by three.

Beyer pattern sensor camera makers don't do this, however. They take the output resolution and multiply width by height. In the case of this camera, a traditional-sensor maker would say 4.6 megapixels for this camera (2640x1760).

That size sensor with that resolution is truly great, however. It's a heck of a lot less dense than the 1/3 sensors packing 7-8 mp these days.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Benzo said...

I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as the folks who post here, but the DP-1's f/4 lens seems a little slow. I don't know how that would perform in low light, or with fast subjects. Especially in the context of street photography, which I think this camera is really marketed towards, I would think that you'd want something more like f/2.8 or at least f/3.5. Again, that's just me though.

2:39 PM  
Blogger plank said...

Is there a filter tread? Can't really tell from the pictures.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Salva said...

I hope they sell thousands of cameras, and the rest of the makers jump to the "Big sensor/small camera" market.

3:17 PM  
Blogger raymond said...

I think f/4 is not a problem really - I rarely get dialed in that open anyway. It sounds promising, and my main concern would be shutter lag and write speed. The viewfinder is very awesome

4:41 PM  
Blogger Randomrubble said...

Has the same problem as the GR-D, no built in optical finder. To me that's inexcusable in a high ticket fixed focal length compact. Given a snapshot camera with a RAW mode I'd actually swap the LCD on the back for a built in optical finder.

4:53 PM  
Blogger José S said...

Stop whining and go out and buy this camera.
I’m not affiliated with Sigma, but for once someone really cares to listen to the photographers; and not to the “market”. So the least we can do is show a little support. Maybe it will really change that “market” and open a new way where everybody wants to take a shot in this direction. Can you imagine this kind of camera made by Canon, and its Digic processor? Or one Nikon like this? Or a Fuji F30 with a bigger superCCD sensor? And what would Pentax do to show they really know what photography is? Leica has probably saved themselves just by starting to make 4/3 lens, and in doing so, has offered photographers some great new “little” digital lens.
This could turn up even better if it goes well. Can you imagine kicking the tiny sensors for good? If it fails, it will only continue to give corporations the sense they really know better.
Of course it is not a perfect camera, 50mm, wide angle, f:1.0, bla bla bla… Don’t think your pictures will be much better if you have that “perfect” DMD. If you want better specs you must go the film-scanner way. This is a landmark that needs our support. Just do it. Live with its limitations.
(Sorry for the long post and bad English)

5:06 PM  
Blogger Allen George said...

Any camera involves trade-offs. Waiting for the perfect camera is often an excuse we all - even I - use to avoid the hardest task of all, reconciling the gap between the perfection of our photographic vision and the humdrum reality of its execution.

I know there are a lot of unknowns and issues with this camera, jose is right. Sigma should be commended for targeting this niche.

As soon as one makes it to my local store I'm going to try one out and, if the stars align, buy one :)

6:17 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

Stop whining and go out and buy this camera.
I’m not affiliated with Sigma, but for once someone really cares to listen to the photographers; and not to the “market”. So the least we can do is show a little support.

That "whining" you hear about IS the photographers -- who happen to be the market for this camera -- saying, "Hey, it's cute but unusable."

"Showing a little support" ie, buying this camera, would be doing the exact opposite of what photographers need -- that is to say that it would be incenting Sigma to make more products like it which disincents them from making actually usable products. Like say, a street shooting camera with a lens faster than molasses in January and an optical viewfinder.

The shape is right. The lens length is (close enough to) right. But Sigma's cameras are known for having poor noise performance to start with and an F4 lens on there makes it unusable.

7:06 PM  
Blogger eolake said...

Where was I supposed to have heard of this camera, again?

Sounds great. I wish it had anti-shake, though. Like the Canon G7. Two-three stops gained for free right there (barring subject motion).

7:26 PM  
Blogger ShadZee said...

this is the exact camera I want... but in Pentax K-Mount ;-)

just imagine, the same body with the 21mm, 40mm, 70mm Pentax limited lenses. The external viewfinder could have markings/setting to change for the 3 different views. I would even take the 6MP sony CCD with the better low light performance.

I'll buy it in a heart beat.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Dr Hiding Pup said...

If the SD-14's going for $1600, I might just be able to afford the DP-1...

8:20 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"Unusable"?!? Sorry, but that's assuming facts not in evidence. You haven't even see the darn thing, much less tried to use it. A little less prejudice please....


9:22 PM  
Blogger kevin said...

Sigma is getting closer. they don't have an extensive dslr line to protect, so they can do something other manufacturers won't even try to do.

i wish Leica was smart enough to make something like this. maybe a digital CL with a fixed 35mm Summicron lens? design it, supply the optics and let a partner manufacture it.

Pentax could make a great interchangable lens digicam and sell tons of their pancake lenses.

hell...even a digital version of the Yashica Electro 35 would be sweet!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Nick Meertens said...

In a small body like this the back of the lens is much closer to the sensor then in a dslr. That makes designing a small and fast lens for it more difficult and the result is the F4. I do feel howeverthat if they went with a less wide lens, say 40 or 50mm (after conversion to 35mm factor), they would have been able to make it a stop faster and still small enough to fit the small body they envision.
Sigma decided however that the customer wanted a wider lens so this is the compromise made.
Personally I would have liked the 40 or even 50mm and faster one more... but that's just me. I applaud Sigma for the innitiative though!


12:28 AM  
Blogger Engin Kurutepe said...

it seems like the APS sensor size might be too big to make a good f/2.8 or brighter lens for this form factor. that's why they probably had to compromise at f/4 in order to keep the camera small, which isn't very bad, provided the noise performance is ok.

given the DP-1 i tend to think that olympus or panasonic or leica with their 4/3 format are in the the best position to produce "the DMD". Due to their smaller sensor size (2x multiplier) it would be easier for them to come up with a small camera with a good bright lens.

another thing: i could not see any control wheels on dp-1. i have no idea what kind of interface sigma is developing for it, but a hard to use and slow interface with deep menus would be the real deal-breaker for dp-1, not the f/4 lens.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Jon Bloom said...

Is there any indication of the sensitivity range that will be available in the DP-1? I can't find an ISO range spec anywhere on the Web site or in the downloadable PDF.

5:03 AM  
Blogger nextSibling said...

OK, so saying it's "unusable" might be a little hyperbolic, but I share the misgivings. It's not just about low light with f/4, but depth of field control, as well. It's tough enough on a DSLR with f/2.8 on a 'normal' lens. f/4 on a 28mm (sort-of -equivalent) with a sensor this size is going to mean pretty big depth of field anything from a couple of feet away. I'm being deliberately vague and it's all taste, anyhow, but I'm just one of those who likes to keep the depth of filed specific, or at least have the option to. In this sense, the DP-1 definitely has a not inconsiderable unusability-quotient. For me.

On the bright side, a lens that wide helps to overcome the lack of some kind of shake reduction feature.

If the price is right, I might just have to try it out, anyhow. It's the closest anyone's yet come to a usable, small digital camera, after all. Sigma should be commended for taking the plunge on this one and recognizing the market isn't just about cramming in yet more pointless megapixels.

Do the designers and sellers of today's tiny 10Mpx travesties ever, you know, take pictures?

7:20 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"Do the designers and sellers of today's tiny 10Mpx travesties ever, you know, take pictures?"

Sure they do. With their cellphones....


7:55 AM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

I'll bet Winogrand would have loved it, f/4 and all...

9:28 AM  
Blogger Brambor said...

If the price is right then I might get one. I have been looking for a good compact for a long time.

9:36 AM  
Blogger José S said...

I didn’t mean to be pretentious saying people what to do. What I wanted to say, is what I would do. Not because I’m a Sigma fanboy (far from it), but rather because I think decisions in the right direction should be supported. Like Minolta and anti-shake in its time, or the new Pentax K10D, who nailed the DSLR market in a stroke. I would even support the M8 if I had the $$$. But in the compact market things go slowly, the first real advance was the Fuji superCDD high ISO, and Panasonic’s OIS anti-shake. But ditching the small sensor is a move of rather great proportions. It takes courage putting the same sensor in the compact and the DLSR. I like this “same sensor all over, just pick your flavour of body”. It seems just right, even a little film like. Such moves empower users, rather than saying “with this you are a super pro, with that you’re just a looser”. And besides, they really showed panache listening to the public and putting the hot shoe and viewfinder at the last minute.
Of course, I have lots of complaints even before touching it. The menus: "The Horror!". Where are the control dials for changing ISO, shutter or aperture? The Ricoh had them! The anti-shake would have been easy, too.
But maybe the next GR digital will have a bigger sensor in that better body. Or maybe Cosina will make something big next time (Doigtlander? V-Dessa?) pushing Leica into starting to do real compact cameras, and in so doing justice to their heritage. But that’s next time, and if that really happens, we must remember we owe it to the DP1’s smart move.
Besides, the “compactilux” won’t happen soon, and if it did, everybody would complaint about the price.

11:16 AM  
Blogger dasmb said...

I would not call Sigma's megapixel rating an exaggeration, it's a reaction to the megapixel misnomer. Pixels are something that happen on a screen; photosites happen on a camera. There really are 14 million photosites on this camera, just as there are 10 million on my XTi, and those 14 million combine to produce a 4.7 megapixel image.

Bayer sensors are guilty of exaggeration in their own megapixel counts. I mean, if I take a picture of something that's red, I'm essentially only using a quarter of the pixels. I know, interpolation is pretty good, but I'll say this -- my images look a LOT sharper when resampled to 2.5 megapixel no matter how I process them.

I would be thrilled if Canon would make me a camera with a Foveon sensor so I could get that crispness at 4.7 megapixel. But since there's little chance of this, and I'm not jumping to the Sigma platform, I'll buy the DP-1...and keep it in my pocket, always.

PS: Lot of people want this camera to have an aperture of 2.4, "like the Ricoh." A jump from 4 to 2.4 would require more glass, decreasing portability. The Ricoh's much smaller sensor not only allow for much smaller glass, but also increases the depth of field effect at f/2.4 so there's actually LESS background blur than an APS-C sensor at f/4.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"i wish Leica was smart enough to make something like this."

I don't want Leica to make anything that I would want.


1:52 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

If you go to the website you'll see that the camera does have a control wheel on the back. Apparently they even have a focus-by-wire feature implemented so you can manual focus according to what I've read. (If I can find a link, I'll post again.)

Max ISO on the sensor in the SD-14 is listed as 1600. One assumes that it's going to be the same here. On paper that makes this camera a real hard-sell for the kinds of situations where I personally would find a camera like this useful.

Unfortunately all the arguments about lens performance and size, etc. sound reasonable enough so I'm not holding out much hope that there's going to be any drastic developments there. After all, nobody can't change the laws of physics.

On the other hand I wonder if the camera really has to be as small as they think. The specs already list this camera as 4.5"x2.3"x2" (WxHxD) which doesn't strike me as particularly pocketable anyway. Weren't those compact fixed-lens RFs from the 60/70s small enough? Most of them had nice fast lenses, and all had built in VFs. Do these things really need to get a lot smaller (than that)?

It seems to me that you basically have three sizes to contend with:
(a) pants pocket/shirt pocket, (b) coat pocket/purse, and then needs-a-camera-bag. This already doesn't sound like it's going to fit (a) so if they're going for (b) anyway, couldn't they make the whole thing a bit bigger and gives us at least an f/2.8 lens?

2:44 PM  
Blogger Sten said...

I don't understand why the f/4 should be such a huge problem. The Mamiya and Fuji rangefinders had lenses just as slow, but people shot Velvia 50 with them all the time and seemed quite happy.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Robert Roaldi said...

The whole "what is a pixel" discussion results from bad definitions, as has been pointed out. Though you can say the Foveon has 14 million photosites, they occur in groups of 3 that fall within the same cone of light from the lens (more or less), so they are not quite the same kind of photosite as on a Bayer sensor.

We have no good standardized way of describing these entities, so the marketers make up whatever lingo works for them. We should always have our BS detectors turned on when reading marketing.

It reminds of that awful designation for zooms that they use with consumer digicams: 3x zoom, or 10x zoom. A 15-45mm lens is a lot different than a 100-300mm lens, even though they're both 3x.

I can't help rooting for Sigma and their Foveon experiments. The sensor solution seems so elegant that I want it to work. But talk is cheap; I've never bought one.

6:29 PM  
Blogger Mick Ryan said...

"Peter Hovmand said...
Well, this is definitely a step in the right direction for a DMD! But we would like a normal prime as well. Something like 40mm and I would be happy."

Would 44mm be 'something like 40mm' because that is what 28mm is on a APS-C size sensor.

There does seem to be a lot of whiplash reaction to this posting. I'm going to wait and take a look at one as I think it's very interesting and reserve my judgement until then. Spec sheets alone won't tell you much about a camera.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"Would 44mm be 'something like 40mm' because that is what 28mm is on a APS-C size sensor."

The lens on the Sigma DP-1 is a 28mm equivalent. Its actual focal length is 16.6mm.


11:17 AM  
Blogger Thomas Pindelski said...

If this is an APS sized sensor, wouldn't the 1.5x factor make it a ~25mm rather than 28mm?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Where's you get the 1.5X factor? Sigma hasn't published that, to my knowledge.

There's no strict standard for sensor sizes. Sigma is giving the equivalence as 28mm, which is all we know so far. (Or at least all *I* know....)


1:07 PM  
Blogger Peter said...


Sigma has those kinds of details here. It's not all that interesting. They claim a sensor size of 20.7mm x 13.8mm which yields a diagonal of 24.9 or about 1.7x. This is basically the same FOV crop that all the Sigma dSLRs have had since the original SD-9.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mick Ryan said...

Mike Johnston said...
"Would 44mm be 'something like 40mm' because that is what 28mm is on a APS-C size sensor."

The lens on the Sigma DP-1 is a 28mm equivalent. Its actual focal length is 16.6mm.


11:17 AM

Sorry, I totally missed that, those mm equivalents can get a mite confusing sometimes.

7:30 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"those mm equivalents can get a mite confusing sometimes"

'deed they do.

If it's any consolation, I've made several mistakes in this posting already, that I've had to go back and correct.


7:50 PM  
Blogger PPL said...

Attendons les premières photos, notamment en basse lumière. Si le 800 iso est bon, cet appareil va faire un carton malgré son léger embonpoint...

10:04 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

I'm not quite getting that last's how my autotranslator renders it:

"Let us await the first photographs, in particular in low light. If the 800 Iso is good, this apparatus will make a paperboard in spite of its light plumpness..."


12:06 PM  
Blogger Christian said...

Most compact cameras are designed to do many things. Macro photography as well as (moderate) wideangle and telephoto shots. It's not a surprise that they don't do any one thing very well.

The dp1 is clearly designed with another goal in mind. I'm sure that there are a lot of situations where it is a bad idea to use the dp1. But then there are situations where it seems better than any other camera that currently exists. The question that interests me, (and on which I would love to hear advice) is the following. Is there any better option if you go hiking and want to take landscape shots while minimizing the weight you are carrying? For this particular application you don't need large aperture, actually you are more interested in how far you can stop down. And after a couple of days I can assure you that you really worry about every gram that you're carrying.

I guess it all depends of how the dp1 performs in practice.

11:56 AM  
Blogger adamei said...

Not sure if you've seen this camera announcement.
This one has many of my requirements for a pocket walking around camera: RAW, a viewfinder, wide-angle (down to 24mm equiv) and anti-shake. I'm not counting on the image processing engine, but I assume RAW may be usable - I'm looking forward to seeing reviews - my Dimage A1 just doesn't fit in my pocket.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

I have been known to jump in feet first, impulsively buying where others cautiously wait for reports and feedback, but I've already begun selling some 35mm gear to save up for the DP1. For its perceived failings (max aperture, focal length decision) it still looks to me like an ideal street shooter that will produce excellent RAW images. Initially I was thinking of a Panasonic LX2 which also has RAW output, but I'm going to wait for a DP1 to show up.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

As someone who previously owned an SD10, I applaud Sigma for having the guts to come out with a niche camera. I am soooo tired of every camera maker creating cameras that do everything well but do nothing great. I've shot extensively with three different Canon dSLRs (as well as several Nikon and Pentax models). What's wrong with having different cameras for different purposes?

Don't get me wrong, it's great to be able to walk into virtually any situation with my Canon dSLR and know that it can handle it. However, for more personal shooting, more artistic shooting, every image I've ever shot with a Bayer sensor camera leaves me...underwhelmed. The only images I've ever shot digitally that have given me that spine-tingling thrill when looking at them have come from my SD10.

Yes, when you're talking about SLR systems, you can be talking a good deal of expense because you have to invest in a lens system. But I wish more camera makers would take more risks and create different bodies for different purposes rather than simply making each successive model have more megapixels and more sophisticated versions of the same bells and whistles.

Introducing this P+S is one of the smartest things Sigma could do. I especially applaud them for choosing a fixed-focal length lens to keep optical performance as high as possible. The Foveon sensor deserves the highest resolution the lens can pass to it. I'd much rather see them release a few different versions of the DP with different focal length primes built in than to change it some crappy zoom.

The second smartest thing Sigma could do would be to make their SD SLRs into four-thirds cameras. Adding their SD body to the open source system of four-thirds lenses would more than make up for lost sales of their proprietary SA lens line because far more people would be willing to experiment with an SD body knowing that any and all lenses purchased for it could also work on other four-thirds bodies. And a large portion of lenses bought for an SD body would be the four-thirds lenses Sigma themselves make since they are excellent values for the money. Personally, I would drop Canon in a second to pick up a (very affordable) Olympus body for all-around work and an SD body for situations where the Foveon really thrives (slower, more deliberate work, especially landscapes, still life, architecture, and studio portraiture) and be able to use the same lenses on either.

The single biggest impediment most people have to trying the SD line is their resistance to adopt an entire lens system solely for use with that body.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Marcello said...

Considering the fact that this camera was "revealed" in a "pre-pre-pre-maybewe'llevenshipsomeday" version in September 2006, the answer to the question "Sigma DP1 Imminent?" appears to be......NO! Why is anyone on this blog advising people to buy this camera when it's not available anywhere 9 months after it was announced?

Oooohhh! What's that smell? Smells like..... VAPORWARE!!!

Anyone remember E-Film?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Kyle Jones said...

1/25th sec, ISO 1600, f/4 exposes EV 4-5. That's good enough for subjects directly under a streetlight if they are standing like statues.

So, not so good for low light street. But for the type of stuff Winogrand shot, mostly daylight, mostly sunny, you won't notice f/4 because you'll likely be shooting at f/8 anyway.

Having to bend my arm with the 5D only for night work would be nice.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

emailed sigma uk... they reckon sigma jp have told them end of august, but they feel it'll be more like september...

9:17 PM  
Blogger Marcello said...

Vapor. Ware.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Andreas said...

I dont have a problem with the f4 lens, because its not an slr and has a nice separate finder. So it doesnt mean dim viewfinder. When i use my Konica Hexar I always stop it down to about f4 to get te best from the lens.
So I want one!

3:47 AM  
Blogger Luis Rubim (aka Dr. Uberfunk) said...

I don't get the whining about the f/4 lens either. As some are quick to point out that this whining is actually coming from photographers, they should also be quick to remember that the lens is 28mm, which will give you a working shutter speed of 1/30 at f4 which gives plenty of scope and opportunities in lower light with the Foveon's good performance at ISO100-400. Not only that, this camera has no mirror slap which makes it veru likely possible to handhold it at 1/15 and even 1/8. don't tell me you don't have any scope for opportunities in low light with these speeds (shutter and ISO).

5:51 PM  
Blogger Itchy said...

"I'd much rather see them release a few different versions of the DP with different focal length primes built in than to change it some crappy zoom."

Me too.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

It's Oct 24th and the DP1 is nowhere in sight. Is this camera real?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Robert said...

phoned sigma uk today (26th Oct 2007) they said they dont know anything, they are waiting to here from Japan.

8:39 AM  
Blogger davidvideo said...

The Sony R1 was a P+S with an SLR sensor? yyeeeeeaaaaaah, maybe that's because it's basically a DSLR without the interchangeable lenses -- it's HUGE!
When people express excitement over a COMPACT with a large sensor, they mean a compact. The R1 is more unwieldy and more obtrusive than the M8, for god's sake.
And for all you whiners out there -- WAAHHH, WAAHHH, WAAHHHH. I Want a 2.8 lens! I want ISO 256,000! I want it all and I want it to cost me $20!
Yeah, well I'd like to fit ten gallons of water into a 1 gallon jug, but compromises have to be made. We can certainly quibble over which decisions Sigma has made and whether or not their priorities are the right ones, but all these people who want it to be just like every other P+S out there mystify me.
If you want just another Canon or Nikon, then go buy one. Take it into every situation knowing that you can shoot pictures but then don't bitch when ALL of your pictures are underwhelming.
Sigma is trying to do something new here -- create a compact that actually takes good pictures -- GASP -- even if it's not for every shooting situation.

2:27 PM  
Blogger john3536 said...

What does DMD stand for?

4:23 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

See here:

4:34 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

In case you couldn't read that, here it is split in two lines. You may have to reconstruct it in your address bar.


4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home