The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007


Regarding the post "My Kind o' Camera," below, I have one or two things I should add. This is addressed to anyone who thinks it is addressed to them. I wish to make the following statements for the record.

(Deep breath)

The Canon 30D is a very nice camera. You made a very wise choice when you purchased it. It takes beautiful pictures. I don't hate pictures made with Canons. I don't hate your pictures. I don't hate you. I'm sure your pictures are very attractive. I'm sure your wife is very attractive. I'm aware that your Mother has perfectly good taste in footgear. I am not Nikon's "bee-yotch." Please don't take things so personally. Finally: your blood pressure!


I'm hoping this will cut down on the death-threats, from those whose shopping skills I have inadvertently impugned....
Carry on,

Your Friendly Host

Sorry, comments are closed for this post! We've had enough fun at the expense of our Canon-shooting friends. Thanks for your co-operation.


Blogger Dr Hiding Pup said...

Humph. Sounds like Canon-bashing to me! I'm an Olympus user but I'm offended on behalf of Canon users everywhere. (SA)

6:38 PM  
Blogger zhdoroga said...

I'm no Nikon user, but I, too, think the D80 is almost sensual to handle. I almost bought one simply to have that viewfinder.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Mick Ryan said...

What's that you said about my wife!?

6:54 PM  
Blogger Peter Hovmand said...

Well, I am waiting for the D300, and I enjoy waiting :) But it is very certain that Canon-people are a bit touchy these days. "Be careful out there."

6:57 PM  
Blogger MJFerron said...

Jeesh those Canon types are sooooo sensitive. Canon dominates sports, action and wildlife. They also have the full frame market to themselves. Can't us long suffering Nikon types just have one camera that's best in class?? :)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Monza76 said...

Well hey, I shoot with a Pentax, that means I get no respect at all!! I really don't care because I have better lens compatibility than the Nikon and a better viewfinder than the Canon for 1/2 the price.

Both N and C offer greater speed and higher resolution (I have a *istDS, love the camera, hate the name) but I have come to terms with my personal skill level and the fact that I do not have professional aspirations beyond a few jobs that occasionally come my way.

I do not wish to draw the ire of any group, each camera has its strengths and weaknesses. I support the view that one should not be offended by having weaknesses pointed out.


7:35 PM  
Blogger ADias said...

Why this OP? did Canon users get upset for the open endorsement of Nikon on the other OP? I'm a Canon user and I could not care less. Cameras are very personal things. I like potatoes, you like tomatoes... :)

Having said that... is there anything better than a Canon CMOS sensor these days? and that is the only thing that matters - ultimate image capture quality.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"and that is the only thing that matters - ultimate image capture quality."

I think if that were really true, we'd all be shooting Phase One backs. (Or maybe the ultimate image capture quality is a 6x7cm rectangle of Tri-X.)


10:15 PM  
Blogger ADias said...

> "and that is the only thing that matters - ultimate > image capture quality."
> I think if that were really true, we'd all be shooting > Phase One backs. (Or maybe the ultimate image > capture quality is a 6x7cm rectangle of Tri-X.)
> --Mike

I meant in relative price points. Not absolutes. Apples to apples. Canon to Nikon. :)

Besides... is the Phase One sensor the best in absolute terms?

11:46 PM  
Blogger dst said...

Right on man, right on. Those people that have problems with their blood-pressure when reading your post need to understand that the camera and everything you can attach to it is a tool to do the job, nothing else.

Personally I switched from Canon to Nikon to Canon (with old MF cameras, so price was no problem). I get along with both brands.
But what suits one guy doesn't need to suit the guy next to him.

*shaking head in amusement* :)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Whatever. Why are DSLRs so damned ugly? I wished the Canon T90 never happened. The "form language" for DSLRs since the T90 has been "big bloated black whales."

It's not just limited to cameras either. Since the early 90s, BMW abandoned the slim, sinewy design for the bloated whale design. Also, compare an earlier VW Golf to today's.

I think the ugliest camera one can buy today is the Pentax K10D. A close #2 is the Canon 5D. Shapeless black masses. The least offensive is the Olympus E-400.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Post Fashion Man said...

Sheesh, as a news photographer for 20 years, many of my peers like the ergonomics and light weight of the Nikon D2x (it just feels good) but want the Canon sensor/digic technologies inside. How about a merger guys? There's no such thing as the perfect camera. I think the Nikon D200 is one of the best DSLRs I've used, but I'm buying Canon soon so I can have access to a bigger range of cameras, full-frame etc, in the future.

1:10 AM  
Blogger itsfunny said...

regarding question of possible better sensor than CMOS we got to watch Fuji Super CCD HR that is in F30 compact camera. The guys in dpreview actually make side by side comparison with D50 which made their CCD 5 times the size that of Fuji F30 Super CCD with very similar result. Here is the link. it handles great noise reduction at greater ISO. Best in compact class.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Player said...

I'm Nikon's "bee-yotch," so you made me feel good. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Yup.

3:24 AM  
Blogger Michael said...

I think it was when I was in junior high school, sometime in the very late 50's, that the insult 'your mother wears army boots'infiltrated our ranks in Colorado Springs. I thought then, and I think now, that this is a wonderfully irrelevant insult. And I see from your blog that it penetrated far beyond its source. Any ideas where it originated? If we could find that out, we could probably find out a whole lot more.

5:16 AM  
Blogger John Roberts said...

It's not just some Canon users who are touchy. There are fanatics of every brand who start coming unglued when they learn someone prefers another camera to their favorite. Who cares? I just don't understand the need some apparently feel to have to defend their choice of camera make and model every time a competitor's brand gets a little love on a website.

5:57 AM  
Blogger chrispycrunch said...

I have visited a countless number of message boards and the Canon-hot heads vs Nikon-hot heads vs all other is nothing new. Many think a good camera makes a good photographer. It's actually more so the lenses. Ergo, we need more lens bashing. Only the smart ones will know that actually, it's the photographer that makes the camera.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Dirk said...

Oh, so now you're a Canon-lover???

I'll give up my Nikon when they pry my cold, dead fingers off the shutter release.

Mike Smith

10:01 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

One of the things I find hilarious about this post is that the original post made an observation that is emprically verifiable. He just said that the D80's VF is bigger than the 30D's VF. Go to the store, look through the cameras, and see for yourself. If you find his observation false or misleading in someway, come back here and post your findings in rebuttle. There's no room for debate on this. The only opinion implied in the entire post is that the bigger VF makes him prefer the D80.

If you want to expound on why that's not important to you, or why other factors involved in the purchase of a digital camera swayed them to a Canon, or that the VF might be smaller, but is still "good enough" for your needs--that's fine. No one has said that the Canon is a bad camera, and everyone is entitled to spend their money in the way that they please. However it's simply denying reality to take offense at someone saying that the 30D has a bigger finder than the D80.

Incidentally Mike, I've done the holding two cameras up to your face trick, only in my case I used a KM 5D and a (film) Maxxum (actually Dynax) 7. Big mistake! As a result of this the next day I slapped a 50/1.7 on the 7 and shot a few rolls rolls of MACO just to enjoy the big-ness.

10:37 AM  
Blogger OK-1K said...

Dear sirs, I am grossly offended by your suggestion that the D80 is a great camera. I am herewith tendering my request to end my subscription and I demand to have all costs pro-rated for the cancellation. Please bill me only for the posts I have read up until this point.

/end sarcasm

10:45 AM  
Blogger plabby said...

Canonites are furious right now, they just hate the d80/d40. I know because the photogs I work around never used to pay any attention to me, they just slagged me off as the 5% of pros who worked with nikon. Now they are asking questions... what's it like? Can I take a peek through the VF?

Sometimes methinks Canon people really beleive the camera makes a difference.

Good photographers still use pinhole cameras, what, some 125 years after they were popularized.

I hasten to say that 100 years from now, someone will still be shooting with a 30D, or a 1dmk11, just cause it will be "cool".

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Okay, I'm thinking we've had enough fun at Canon-shooters' expense. (Most of whom are, after all, perfectly reasonable people and no more the subject of this post than the man in the moon, as the saying goes.)


11:23 AM  
Blogger Peyo said...

Forums like the dpreview one are responsible of most of these absurd brand1 vs brand2 wars. They are mostly populated by people who don't care about real photography at all. People who buy cameras as if they are buying cars. Once I asked there about their favorite photographers and I got almost no answers.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Van said...

Even before the salmonella scare I always preferred Jiff peanut butter to Peter Pan. Sure, Peter Pan has that great jar but the texture of the peanut butter does not appeal to me…it's just too grainy. In this respect, Jiff blows Peter Pan out of the water with its legendary creamy smoothness.

I also understand that, among Jiff users, there was not a single report of a soggy sandwich on the recent Luminous Landscape Antarctica tour. While users of Skippy and Peter Pan were scrambling for their back up sandwiches, Jiff users hardly even needed a napkin to wipe their mouths.

Wait…what forum is this?

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home