The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Monday, February 05, 2007

Random Excellence

The Chicago skyline on Saturday night, by T.O.P. reader Aalok Kacha. (No Photoshopping involved, Aalok tells me.) Plus a fine shot of a vanquished hero who did his part, from Sports Illustrated.



Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

Aalok and I must have been the only two nuts in Chicago to be out near the aquarium / planetarium in zero degree weather with 10-12 mph gusts in the black night. It was cold! Nobody out there but you and the geese (trying to stay warm on the lake ice). Here's more.

10:50 AM  
Blogger robert e said...

I admire the hardiness/bravery/enthusiasm, perhaps as much as the shots themselves.

I assume gloves are essential, and therefore a camera that can be operated through gloves, and good gloves?

1:18 PM  
Blogger m. said...

Nice! I was out in Madison on Friday when it was only zero. Not too much wind, though, and I chickened out yesterday when it was well below zero.

But yes, Robert, gloves are a necessity. I have a pair of light gloves that allow me to operate the camera pretty well, but they don't keep my hands as warm as I would like.

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

Preparation is key to shooting in comfort (and to just staying healthy). My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time in the winter Alberta Rockies where -40 (the same temp in F and C, btw) is common for January. So I was actually well dressed for the job, including insulated snow pants! For shooting in such cold conditions I use arctic mitts that feature a lightweight inner glove that's thin enough to easily permit manipulating the camera while avoiding direct exposure to the cold.

My Canon camera (a 1DsII) did just fine, too. On the way out I kept it shielded from the wind with a down hood. Towards the end of the shoot (approx. 45 min) the camera was getting a bit sluggish but these bodies are really designed for use in harsh environments.

Shooting in such cold air can be really ideal. If there's no ice fog and you can see for miles. Of course the special nature of the scene is what really helped to propel me into the frigid night, and probably Aalok, too.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home