The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Saturday, February 03, 2007


Barbaro winning the 132nd Kentucky Derby, Edgar Prado up

There is something unambiguously noble about a great racehorse. You can see a video of his magnificent Derby win at the Kentucky Derby website.




Blogger Ernest Theisen said...

It seems like I thank you every day. Well that’s good. So once again, thank you. I love the look on that face. That is called the look of determination. It made us, in my family, a bit teary, we love horses. E

1:01 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Hi Ernest,

"It made us, in my family, a bit teary" too, and...

"we love horses" too.

All best.


1:23 AM  
Blogger thechrisproject said...

Something about horse races really enraptures me. That video was very cool. I just saw a video of Secretariat wining the '73 Belmont stakes by about 30 lengths and it made me feel the same way:

I do notice that there have been amazing advanced in camera work in the last 30 years.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"I do notice that there have been amazing advanced in camera work in the last 30 years."

Principally that they used to be as big as end tables and cost a quarter of a million dollars, and now they're as big as handbags and cost $10k. So they can put more of them up around the track, here, there, everywhere.

I'm actually not sure of those details...but that's the gist as I understand it. Perhaps someone who knows more could supply more accurate sizes and figures.


12:14 PM  
Blogger Olaf Ulrich said...

Barbaro's portrait would be even more noble if he hadn't been mutilated. Shaving the inside of the ears completely and cutting the whiskers around mouth and nostrils is a rather nasty thing to do to a horse. Those who really love horses would never do this, and they'd never consider the look of a shaven horse "more beautiful," or even "more noble," than the natural look.

-- Olaf

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home