The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

New Super Canon

You probably haven't heard this, because it's hardly been mentioned on the web at all, but Canon has come out with a successor to its top pro camera. It's called the EOS-1D Mark III. It appears to be a careful and thorough top-to-bottom revising of the Mark II, with no major changes or new design directions but lots of refinements and detail changes. The best summary of what the new camera offers can be found at Rob Galbraith's site, which is also hosting a .PDF download of Canon's excellent 63-page white paper on the camera's design and function.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Featured Comment by pete g: I got to handle the Mark III for a few minutes last weekend at the Canon booth at the Southwestern Photojournalism Conference in Fort Worth, Texas.

It's a very nice camera with many thoughtful features. You can imagine the crowd behind me, so I didn't get to look at the Mark III as closely as I would have liked.

One amazing feature that hasn't been talked about is the ability, via custom function, to fine-tune and save settings for the back- or front-focus of individual lenses. For example, my 20D doesn't like my EF 20mm ƒ/2.8; it's constantly back focusing. With the Mark III, I can tune the focus and then save it as a preset for that lens.

The viewfinder is big and bright and 100%. The focusing squares have a newer, better layout, and the literature Canon was handing out says there's a processor dedicated solely to AF.

I snapped a few shots of the room at ISO 6400, and from what I could see on the very nice 3" screen, zoomed in, the noise, especially in the shadow areas, was minimal.

Based on my 4-minute evaluation, this is going to be an important camera for certain types of photography.

8 Comments:

Blogger PeterMQ said...

imaging-resource has an extensive discussion and numerous test photos, including the 6400 ISO shot, at http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK3/E1DMK3A7.HTM

8:02 PM  
Blogger thechrisproject said...

Perhaps this means I can get my hands on a cheap(er) MkII in a few months.

10:23 PM  
Blogger laurencepak said...

i am quite happy that the belief that the megapixel race is over

(also that most "good" cameras are at the really good level)

because i have a pledge with myself and my girlfriend that i won't be getting another camera for 5 years
(unless the 5D i recently got is stolen or broken, etc)


5 years from now will be 2012, any guess as to how the cameras will be like by then?

by the end of the 5 years i will have graduated and gotten a job (hopefully)

by then i will probably invest in my dream gear: an Leica digital RF kit.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

laurencepak,
It's none of my business, and pardon me for saying so, but isn't the point of such a pledge to stop paying attention to cameras and start paying attention to what you hope to do with them? The point is not to start obsessing about what cameras are going to be like 5 years from now when your self-imposed exile from consumerism, like a jail sentence, will be done. Photography is not about cameras, it's about pictures. You'll have plenty of opportunities to start the whole meaningless cycle over again in 2011. For now, give the cameraholism a rest and learn to accomplish something with what you've got.

--Mike

6:49 AM  
Blogger vbsoto said...

Mike,

Amen to that. I have to remind myself constantly about this.

My pledge to myself is to obsses less and print more. Every time I find myself thinking I need some other gadget, I go home and print some of the 10,000 (yikes) images on file.

8:44 AM  
Blogger carpeicthus said...

If my money wasn't going toward my upcoming wedding, I'd have an order in for this puppy. Hopefully Nikon comes out with a D3H that, if not topping it in the sports arena, is a big jump for Nikon PJ cams. I already have all the Nikon toys, so I could afford that, even with nuptials.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Robert Roaldi said...

The reviewer mentions an interesting featute whereby the body's behaviour re front/back focusing can be preset to accomodate specific lenses. I understand how this comes about but it rubs me the wrong way, somehow. Shouldn't the equipment work the same predictable way with all lenses? Especially in this price range. Isn't that the idea?

Maybe I am a curmudgeon (or more probably don't really know enough to have a valuable opinion) but in all the years I used manual focus cameras, I never had an out of focus picture. Since the advent of auto-focus I get them quite often.

10:46 AM  
Blogger laurencepak said...

dear mike,

you are right,

the whole point of my pledge is really because i understand the camera is way better than what i can do with it,

therefore i should concentrate on taking more and better pictures.

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home