The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Free Lightroom Tutorials

Is Lightroom for you?

In support of the launch of Adobe Lightroom, Michael Tapes has posted more than an hour of Lightroom video tutorials on the website for viewing free of charge. More are being added almost daily. While the tutorials are free, also also offers a higher resolution DVD-ROM for $10.95 (incl. US shipping). The content is identical, but the DVD-ROMs have a larger window size and higher quality video.

The straightforward videos will give you a clear idea of what Lightroom is and how it works. Because every educator's take on a subject is different, in the coming weeks RawWorkflow also intends to post a links page listing all the other Lightroom reviews and tutorials around the web.


Featured Comment by Mike [not Mike J.]: Lightroom is definetly for me. I can't wait until version 1 proper is out. Michael Tapes' training material is excellent—I learned so much about Raw Shooter Premium from him.

Another really cool Lightroom tutorial site (and my current favourite) is by "Photoshop Guy" Matt Kloskowski.

Featured Comment by Dave New: Uwe Steinmueller, Gerhard Roßbach, and Jürgen Gulbins just published the January 2007 Fotoespresso, which is devoted to a 27-page tutorial/review of Lightroom 1.0.

Featured Comment
by Lightroom user:
By the way, I've also come across another Lightroom video tutorial by the folks at that looks quite good (no free version though).


Blogger Player said...

That's awesome Mike! I was wondering about Lightroom, and I had a few questions.

As I started watching, I knew the gentleman in the videos looked familiar. Sure enough, he's the host on the "Archive Creator" videos too--another cool program!

Very helpful blog. Thanks for posting it!

8:05 AM  
Blogger Paul Mc Cann said...

I went clean off Lightroom when I saw their pricing schedule.

$199 does not equal €199 euros this side of the pond. More like $152. This type of predatory pricing means I don't buy.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Player said...

Lightroom looks fantastic, but I think I'm going to upgrade to CS3 in the spring, from Elements, keep Photo Mechanic for importing and browsing, iMatch as a database, and Archive Creator for burning.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

To me, Lightroom's pricing is a remarkable bargain. A $500+ price might be steep, but $199 is a real value considering the product's broad capabilities.

I've been hooked since last October.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Lightroom user said...

I've been a Photoshop/Bridge person for several years but I have to say that Lightroom has changed the way I think about my digital photography workflow. It's an amazing program and watching the videos about the 1.0 version makes me that much more excited about it. Quite a bit has been added since the beta versions that people have been using for a while. The quick develop and spot healing are two features I know I will use a lot. For those concerned about price you just have to figure out whether it will save you enough time over your current workflow. For me that's a no brainer. Non-destructive spotting of my RAW images that doesn't require a separate PSD file? I'm sold!

By the way, I've also come across another Lightroom video tutorial by the folks at that looks quite good (no free version though).

12:41 PM  
Blogger Joe said...


The Euro Dollar exchange rate right now is about 1.3:1, however, it's important to compare like-versus-like pricing. I am certain that US pricing does not include state and local taxes, which in my locality would reduce the price difference to about twenty percent. As I recall, many European locales employ methods of taxation that are included within the price, and would therefore from the perspective of the price Adobe is selling the product themselves for reduce the differential even further, is that correct? Please correct me if you find my facts to be in error.

1:24 PM  
Blogger stephen best said...

It's AUD $339 here (about USD $265) and this is just the special introductory pricing. I haven't seen any compelling reason to use this over Photoshop/Bridge CS3. Maybe if you've got a huge collection of raw files it may make some sense. I'm not sure that I want my digital editing workflow reduced to pushing hundreds of sliders around though. I think Adobe will have to distinguish the product more from its Photoshop workhorse.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home