The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Digitally Imaging the Unicorn

Scott Kirkpatrick makes reference in his Leica M8 post to the Leica S1 and the unicorn tapestries. Here's where you can find the utterly charming story of the Chudnovsky Mathematician (two brothers who insist they are one mathematician occupying two distinct bodies), the computer called It built in part with supplies from Home Depot, and the digital imaging of the tapestries. It's a long article, so perhaps you'll have to wait until you have time, but it's fascinating—not to be missed.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON, thanks to Nick

Brooklyn Polytechnic University's David and Gregory Chudnovsky

ADDENDUM by Eolake: Ten minutes of video about the unicorn project from NOVA Science Now


Blogger H_Leighton said...

I read the article.


Read it!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

This is a fascinating story.

PBS's Nova did a show on this project, which is how I first saw the story. Reading this makes me want to see that show again!

See Nova Science Now for an interactive simulation of the problem that the Chudnovsky brothers encountered.

10:16 AM  
Blogger eBay said...

nicht schlecht!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Suprada said...

Thats an amazing article!

1:01 PM  
Blogger eolake said...

I agree, kool story.

If The New Yorker is normally this good, I'd take a subscription. (They are not on newsstands in the UK that I've seen.)
... But most of it seems to be political, from what I can see on their site. What do you say, good magazine?

7:26 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"What do you say, good magazine?"

I subscribe, and pretty much read it cover to cover. As with any magazine, some issues hit me better than others--but then, some weeks the cartoons seem funnier, too. It's probably half dependent on my mood.


9:25 AM  
Blogger Valmont said...

Many thanks. Fascinating. Thanks for pointing to it.
Tampere, Finland

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home