The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Monday, January 01, 2007

Illinois #20

I've just posted a new print for sale. This one is probably not something that I should even try to sell—I love it, but it's going to appeal to very few people. It's called Illinois #20.



Blogger Monkeini said...

Woah. I ordered Wisconsin #7, and it convinced me of a few things: 6Mp is enough, I want a HP B9180, I want to try that photo rag paper, Mike is a great photographer. But I wish I had waited for Illinois #20. That's a great shot. Perhaps I'm influeced by 'Illinois' by Sufjan Stevens being my favourite album at the moment? No. It's just a great shot.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

THANKS! I actually really like it a lot. The print is really arresting for some reason. I keep looking at it. I guess I'm art-infatuated with it at the moment....


10:52 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

...Which happens to me with music, too. (Art-infatuation, I mean.)


10:53 AM  
Blogger Charlie Didrickson said...

I love that shot........Not just Chicago Bias either. I like a shot you have to dig into to reveal it's full potential.

Your right about it not appealing to everyone but I bet a good many folks would be suprised if they slowed down and took a longer look.

A buck twenty is too steep for me given the Holidays. How long is it available Mike?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"How long is it available Mike?"

I dunno...I suppose availability will be "organic," i.e., limited by how long I happen to have the same setup I'm printing it on, so I don't have to redo everything.


And thanks for the kind words.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Mike Allen said...

I think that your instincts were right, offering it for sale was a good thing to do. Aside from the happy fact that it has demonstrable merits (I like it a great deal, it has the sneak-up-on-you effect that I enjoy but rarely manage), I think it also shows that you are true to your own art. Good for you for hanging it out there. Mike, Vancouver

2:36 PM  
Blogger Monkeini said...

After claiming '6Mp' is enough, I think this is actually the kind of shot that would benefit from the large-format treatment. I can imagine Alec Soth or Joel Sternfeld taking this shot and printing it huge. With that lovely compressed tonal range on the horizon, and those wonderful little details creeping in amongst the trees, the scene is asking for the 8x10 colour negative film treatment!

6:13 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"After claiming '6Mp' is enough, I think this is actually the kind of shot that would benefit from the large-format treatment."

Yes, I think that's exactly right. When Paul Butzi did my big Apple (search the blog for "Surface Tension"), I was amazed that a 6 MP shot could be enlarged to 22x33"...but it was really because of the picture, which worked at that size. Illinois #20 is one of the few shots of mine that could really use more resolution, perhaps even a LOT more resolution as you suggest. That's the reason I've printed it fairly small, for one thing.


6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home