The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Monday, January 29, 2007

Coincidoise

Talk about a pleasant surprise: My friend Bob Burnett was busy reviewing Tortoise's A Lazarus Taxon for our music site when he realized that he had been the cameraman for some of the sequences on the DVD. And in the review he talks a bit about the photography the band used for the packaging, and I realized we had blogged about Arnold Obermatt here on T.O.P. a while back. And when I say we I mean Oren.

What it signifies when you emblemize your band with pictures of car crashes, I don't really want to speculate about, but A Lazarus Taxon is a collector's item waiting to happen—if you don't know the band, really fascinating easy-to-listen-to instrumental music in beautifully recorded audiophile-grade sound. At less than $15 for three CDs and a DVD in premium packaging, it's all but free at the moment. Run-don't-walk recommended. Partly for the Obermatt, of course (gotta stay on track...). I bet it will be $150 on the used market in just a few years, if not more. What you call a window.

([Even more] shameless plug:) And while you're at it, check out my little essay on Billie Holiday. (It comes after the Tortoise piece.) Protect yourself from Satin ignorance! (Can you tell I have strong feelings about this?)

Tortoise, by Saverio Truglia

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

6 Comments:

Blogger Glenn Twiggs said...

You'll never guess who I was listening to when I came across this post. Mind-bending.

4:18 PM  
Blogger John Roberts said...

I browsed through the articles on your music site, and, well, let's just say we have very different tastes in music. But I did enjoy being exposed to some album cover art that I had never seen before. I'll pop into that site now and then, if only to see what new album covers are there. Good stuff!

5:01 AM  
Blogger charel said...

Hi Mike,
I do photography only as a hobby, but it has become difficult for me to assess whether or not my pictures had some selling potential or not. I hope it is not too much to ask if you could just take a quick look at the picture section from my blog, where I publish at least some of them, but I understand that this might be the wrong time and place to ask. Thanks anyway!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Charel,
If I knew what sells, I'd be selling more. In any event, your link doesn't work for me....

--Mike

7:22 AM  
Blogger DarkoV said...

Well, aside from the fabulous cover art of A Lazurus Taxon, the music certainly doesn't disappoint. A great, great package for a Tortoise fan and, as you mentioned, an incredible steal at the $15 price. An interesting review on music site as it was done mainly from the perspective of the visual impressions. Certainly a different take on the work than most music reviews of this box set.

8:57 AM  
Blogger charel said...

Guess the compiler changed the link to avoid linking to an outside blogspot site, I'm sorry. Maybe you got me wrong, I realize of course that there is no way of telling what people are going to buy, but there is a line between the pictures you like and the pictures you consider to other people to find interesting. http://www.betz.lu/index.php/a

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home