The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Car Singers: Scott J.'s Solution

My brother called me yesterday. He couldn't see any reason why his picture appeared, twice, in the post entitled "Do Phototgraphy Websites Need to Grow Up?", so he figured I was testing him, to see if he means it when he claims he reads my blog every day.

Well, I wasn't testing him, but if I had been, he would have passed. A+, Scott.

So I figured I'd do a real post about him. As some of you may know, Dilbert (using the pen name "Scott Adams," but don't be fooled—his real name is Dilbert) writes a daily blog, and recently he posted an item about "Car Singers."

Scott Adams

Here's how to get back at car singers.

Wait until you have them in the passenger's seat on a warm summer day.

Ask them to roll down the window.

Wait until you come to a stop light with another car on your right that has its drivers-side window down.

Abruptly, lean across your friend, and scream, "BLEHHHH! LOOK AT ME!" then quickly turn away and look nonchalantly out your own window.

Invariably, here is what happens:

Your friend in the passenger's seat looks out his window to see who you were yelling at.

The person in the next car looks over at your car to see who was yelling at him—and assumes it was your passenger. Just as your passenger realizes this and starts to try to explain, the light turns green, and you pull away.

At least, that's how it used to work when my brother Scott used to do it to me.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

8 Comments:

Blogger Ernest Theisen said...

You bother writes Dilbert? Wow. I have been a Dilbert fan for years. I worked in aerospace for 34 years. Scott Adams was so spot on that my co-workers and I believed that Scott Adams worked for Boeing, or Northrup or Litton or one of the others. How else could he know so much about what really goes on in those shops. Ernie

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

No, my brother is Scott Johnston. Scott Adams (no relation) writes Dilbert.

--Mike

4:40 PM  
Blogger Michael Canyes said...

Wow, that was confusing!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Shaithis said...

I just read this at work and as my boss walked I laughed out loud. He gave me a weird look. I can wait to try it out on my wife this summer!

8:12 AM  
Blogger lowlander said...

This is a very complex way of coming out of the closet as a type 3 non female car singer, Mike.
Least thing you can do is tell us your favorite carsongs then. Mine is 'Talking Heads - Nothing But Flowers' by the way, that is as a type 1 car singer. Try it and like it more each car audition....

8:27 AM  
Blogger Dave New said...

Scott Adams explains (somewhere on his web site) that he worked many years for a west coast telecommunications company, as an engineer of some sort, in a giant cube farm.

He uses ideas sent to him by his fans, but waits until he gets two or three of the same or similar idea from different sources before using it, to mask its origin (and protect the innocent).

He continued to work his day job after Dilbert became popular, with the understanding that if his notoriety became too much of a distraction to his boss and his workplace, that he would quit.

One day, the 'high sign' was given to him, and he left, no hard feelings.

He's been full-time as a cartoonist ever since.

I used to work for a PHB (Pointy-Haired Boss) that used to post PHB-related Dilbert strips on his office door. In his own way, he didn't understand that they were about him. He thought they were hilarious.

I left soon after.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Boris said...

Mike, mind if I download this Dilbert face and use it as my own avatar?

Thanks.

1:25 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Boris,
Beats me. I don't own the rights to it.

--Mike

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home