The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Trail of Diamonds

I ran across this brief photo-essay by Kadir van Lohuizen and thought it appropriate for both the time of year and the current selection at the theatres. What is it about diamonds, besides their value, that is so attractive?



Blogger Andy Frazer said...


3:59 PM  
Blogger Impasse Lebouis said...

Diamonds. Gold. Precious metals. Greed. Corruption. Exploitation. Land Eviction. Poverty. Torture. Slavery. Killings. Africa. Congo. Botswana. Angola.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Impasse Lebouis said...


The link to the above Washington Post article is truncated.

This one works better.


10:17 PM  
Blogger Thomas D. said...

Thanks for the link. I saw some of those shots, and some more from that series, at the World Press Photo 2006 exhibition when it was in Copenhagen a couple of weeks ago.

Here are some more shots from Kadir van Lohuizen's series from the diamond trade. It also has more of the decadence to contrast the shots from the diamond mines:

Of course, the other shots from World Press Photo are well worth a look too.


10:18 AM  
Blogger Budcub said...

I own a few World Press Photo books. The photography is amazing, but the carnage from the war pics (and there's always a war going on somewhere) can turn my stomach, and I have a strong stomach for ultra-violence.


11:39 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

Even if the mining was not what it is, I would still consider diamonds and such to be a big scam. When I hear of a man paying three month's salary for an engagement ring it makes me sick, but not quite as sick as when I hear of David and Victoria Beckham buying jewelry for each other, worth millions and millions of dollars.

5:27 PM  
Blogger John Roberts said...

I have never understood the allure of jewelry. I wear a simple, gold wedding band, and I occasionally wear my college class ring (which is made of a less expensive alloy, not gold). I don't own or wear any other jewelry; it's just never interested me. Now, a new lens . . .

5:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home