The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Friday, December 08, 2006

Random Question

Aizan, Photoshopped dream camera (see featured comment)

What's your current dream camera? Of cameras that exist, I mean.

And: do you currently own it, or just wish you did?


Featured Comment (and link) by aizan: In my insanity, I have photoshopped images of my dream cameras.

Featured Comment by Sten: It appears that someone in Japan has made a web page about my dream cameras. With pictures.


Blogger Michael Simon said...

current "dream camera":

Olympus Pen F with the low profile pancake lens...

7:27 PM  
Blogger Allen George said...

Leica M8.

Probably as much for the Leica mystique as anything else. I also think it's a beautifully designed camera. I (obviously) don't own one.

Realistically, I'll probably pick up a Nikon D40 and a Sigma 30 and do some street photography with that setup.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

A Leaf or Imacon back for my Hasselblad. This, of course, would require upgrading my 501c 'blad body to a 503cw body... just because.

Anyone got an extra $20K?

Jeff Curto

7:35 PM  
Blogger Wituniasty said...

No, I won,t be original.

Leica M3 (w/ M3 RF/VF of course)
like new mechanics
like new optics (prisms and condensors)
painted black (or not :))

this would replace my old good contax II for everyday use.

Rolleiflex 3.5F wuld be replaced with Rolleiflex 2.8GX mk1

7:44 PM  
Blogger Nic said...

Leica M8.

Down to earth, it'd be the Fuji F30. Hopefully will be picking up one of those real soon.

8:35 PM  
Blogger macdaddy said...

ALPA TC with Switar 5.6/36mm and Leaf 75 digital back. Love the cameras; hate the price and if anyone wants to contribute to the early purchase fund for one of these, it's only about $40,000!

8:53 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Canon 5d with weatherproofing, a really good dust protection system, less noise at ISO 3200. Or was this my dream camera that actually exists? Then I guess I own it. The 5d. But the above would make it more of a dream.

I'd also say a Leica m7 and the money and time to shoot film with it. And a Hasselblad to fill it all out.

9:05 PM  
Blogger dennismook said...

Mamiya 7II. I love my Leica M7 but its hard to beat that big negative, especially for black & white. If I keep wishing, maybe one will appear...

9:18 PM  
Blogger BWJones said...

Canon EOS 1Ds MkII. Full frame, 16MPs, portable and I wish I had it.

9:33 PM  
Blogger robert e said...

My list of dream cameras is long! How can I pare it down until I've tried them all? Near the top is a lightweight 4x5 wood field camera with all the fixin's and a couple of nice lenses. Not picky at this point about exactly which. Of course, a suitable darkroom would be one of those fixin's.

On the other hand (or in the hand) I wouldn't say no to an M8 and a 1.2 Nokton, either. More realistically perhaps an R2A or R2M with a pancake normal I think is a sweet deal. Even the Fuji F30 is on the list, as is a late-model Rolliflex...

9:44 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"Down to earth, it'd be the Fuji F30"

I'll sell you mine....


10:20 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Robert e,
Get a grip, man.


10:26 PM  
Blogger quattro98 said...

Zeiss Ikon (own it) - since it uses a metal shutter, 1/8000 would be nice, I also don't know how rugged it is, but I enjoy using it very much

Canon 5D (own it) - only things I would like to have is weatherproofing, treatment of ISO as a variable like shutter speed & aperture (I think some Pentax bodies do this), and dust reduction for the sensor

10:34 PM  
Blogger stephen best said...

I'm not sure I need/want another camera ... but a fully self-contained 4x5 digital insert would be nice. An anti-gravity tripodless head wouldn't go amiss either. I wonder which we'll get first?

10:45 PM  
Blogger shaggy dog pix said...

Leica M8. I used to own an M4-2 with the 35, 50 and 90 Summicrons. Sigh....

10:56 PM  
Blogger fivetonsflax said...

I use and love: a Canon 20D with the 50mm f/1.4 lens.

I would kill for: yes,the Leica M8.

My next camera will probably be: the Pentax K10D. Dunno what lens.

11:06 PM  
Blogger chantal stone said...

I don't know if I'd consider it my 'dream camera'...but I plan to purchase a Nikon D200 early in the new year, and I'm pretty excited about it.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Just Plain Hugh said...

70mm combat graphic - which I bought just because I like weird cameras , and got to love because the lenses were beautiful. What's not to like about a 8 times life size Contax/Leica hybrid? well the fact that you can't buy film for it any more, so I guess the dream part is having film for it.

A Rolliewide would be my dream camera I don't own.

I guess I keep dreaming I'll get a darkroom again.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

With a Canon 1Ds Mark II, a 1D Mark II, a 5D, a Leica M7, and a Canon G7 I'm pretty much set indefinitely. I'll probably get the M8 when/if Leica's rigid and unimaginative engineers manage to get past the silly "design limitations". But I can wait indefinitely.

It's much more productive to just get all of the gear issues out of the way and channel one's energy entirely toward photography.

1:11 AM  
Blogger thechrisproject said...

Out of cameras that exist and given my current knowledge/experience level, I'd probably have to go with the Canon 1DS. I did just buy a new XTi and I really like it a lot, though.

1:34 AM  
Blogger stanco said...

A black M6 for sheer sexiness & sophistication, a black "Apollo F" for old school manliness, a Mamiya 7 w/43mm for the big jobs, a Hasselblad XPan w/30mm to go wide, and a Hasselblad SWC w/38mm to go square.
That said, I'm pretty happy with my workhorse F100 and Widelux F8.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Abdee said...

Dream camera?

Well I divide that term into two categories, cameras that exist on he market and cameras that exist in my head. First dream camera is (like for many others) Leica M8.But it's lightyears beyond my budget...

What i'd like to see is cheaper digital rangefinder, line of P&S cameras with APS-C sized sensors and fast fixed lenses, non-retarded small DSLR...

But street shooters aren't crowd thats in mind of people in marketing divisions of big manufacturers... Sad.

2:38 AM  
Blogger al said...

The Leica is a small object of much desire but My current dream camera is the big Canon. If only I was rich.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Dion said...

The Ebony 20x24

Sure there are a thousand and one cameras I'd get more use out of, but hey this is the dream camera right?

3:13 AM  
Blogger Fras said...

It doesn't exist. If it did, it would be a rangefinder, the same size as my old Olympus XA and it would sport an APS sized sensor, 6MP is fine thank you.

That said, I've got a D40 on the way and I'm looking forward it. I've had a couple of EVF cameras and I'm really sick of that approach, especially when trying to manually focus.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Robin P said...

Something like a Sigma DP1 but with a real optical viewfinder and a fixed lens of 35mm (not 28mm, too wide!) equivalent length. Small screw in auxiliary lenses and a shoe fitting viewfinder giving 28mm & 90mm equivalents.
Maybe a Fuji sensor would be best for dynamic range but the raw conversion software that comes with Foveon sensor cameras is fantastic.
Oh, BTW - 6 megapixels would be quite enough thank you, I've recently been revisiting files I shot with a Fuji S1 and they have an inherent quality that gets lost when trying to pack too many photosites into a small area as all the new cameras do.....

Cheers, Robin

6:23 AM  
Blogger Dwight Jones said...

Just got my old stuff out of storage. I think the Olympus OM-4 is my dream camera. Who says we "can't" use anything that isn't digital?

7:23 AM  
Blogger John Roberts said...

I guess I have my dream camera, an Olympus E-500, since I don't see anything on the market right now that even tempts me to swap. The E-500 is lightweight, well built, and is capable of making excellent prints up to 16x20. It's all I want or need.

7:29 AM  
Blogger Robert Roaldi said...

Owned it and sold it. Pentax MX.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Albano Garcia said...

In my film years, I owned two bodies of my dream camera, the Pentax LX. Now in my digital years I guess it's the D200, but to be honest I'm very satisfied with my D50. I dream more about lenses (35mm f2, 24mm f2.8, 18-55 2.8, all AF), but is hard to justify them with my current income.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Salva said...

A Leica CM digital with a 35mm lens, an APS sensor and a good viewfinder.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Player said...

I had to think about this for a long time. Maybe I'm just too complacent with my D200 and D80. In my 100% film days, I always wanted to give the Olympus OM system a go, but I ended up entering the Nikon system, so for me, the dream camera would be either a black OM-4Ti, or an OM-3.

For digital, I have my dream camera.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Elliot Kramer said...

Canon 1Ds mark II. I just had mine stolen and had no hesitation about getting another. There is no other camera I would rather own. I sometimes think about a 40 megapixel Hassy though.

9:11 AM  
Blogger John Banister said...

Of the cameras that exist, the F&H own branded version of the Sinar Hy6 - Leaf AFi would be my favorite. Like the new AF version of the 150mm Tele-Xenar, I'm sure one exists somewhere.

The full frame 6cm x 6cm digital back having 5 Foveon-esq layers of 15 micron pixels and the brains to control & show the focusing with the mirror up hasn't made it to reality yet, though.

9:27 AM  
Blogger Roger Hein said...

A Canham 5x12 with a couple of lenses, a carbon fibre gitzo AND enough money to live and photograph 24/7 outside of Canada for a couple of years.

9:40 AM  
Blogger LousyShot said...

While I'm dream ... an EOS 1DS Mk II and I'm only a mere $7K short. Oh and while I'm dreaming a Sigma 300 - 800 zoom lens, Oh and then I'll need a sturdier tripod with a Wimberly gimbal head. Uh oh, now I'm a mere $15K short!!

10:19 AM  
Blogger matt said...

let's see...
Leica M8+50mm noct+35mm 1.2 (wishing)
Canon 5D- Have it, love it, thinking about various plastic attachments to make me less nervous in the rain. If I had my druthers, it would be a hair faster.

10:35 AM  
Blogger gravitas et nugalis said...

I'm of the opinion - along with Crosby Stills< Nash & Young - that you should love the one you're with. Of course, that's easy for me to say with over 15 cameras (8x10 through sub-minature) to be with.

Actually, the notion of "dream camera" is kind of foreign to me in part because there are so many cameras out there they prove Julian's grandmother's adage, "For every pot, there's a lid."

10:37 AM  
Blogger Nic said...


Is the F30 not that good or do you just want to make some room for a new dream camera?

11:05 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

The F30 is a point-and-shoot. I wish I were not such a snob. I'm horribly ashamed. But we are what we are. Self-acceptance makes us better-adjusted. Despite regular and dutiful tries over many, many years, I just do not like point-and-shoots.


11:10 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

P.S. I'll sell you my near-new in-the-box F30 for $175 plus $25 for a 1-gigabyte SD card. If you use it for three or four months, you should be able to sell it again for very near that same price at the end of that time. At most you would lose $50 or so, which for four months is $12.50 per month. But by then you would know everything there is to know about that particular camera.

May be worth a try, you decide.


11:15 AM  
Blogger Paul Andrew Nakroshis said...

I would like to get the next generation EOS 1ds MKII, and I would like it to include dust removal, and the following feature (this would make me very excited!):
the ability to mask the viewfinder area to a 4/3 or 5/4 aspect ratio. I know that of course one can crop the final image or get a screen with a grid (which I have in my 1d MKII), but it is so much easier to have the viewfinder actually mask the the visible area.


11:18 AM  
Blogger yeled said...

if i ever have a dream camera, i make sure i aquire it!

I started with a Leica R9, then a Rollei 6006, then a Linhof Technika IV, Pentax auto 110, and now an M6.

I recommend rice, beans, credit cards and friend's hospitality while you pay for your babies. They are worth it!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jason D. Moore said...

I like my D50 for now. My next upgrade will probably be to a D200 but I'd really like to get a D2Xs - if I had the cash.

I need to work on getting a really good tripod and head first, though.

11:43 AM  
Blogger James Wrightson said...

Extant: my own Hexar AF.

Hypothetical: 50/1.4 (equiv.) lens on 35 mm film or APS-C sensor; 1:1 parallax-corrected viewfinder (a la Konica III A), with aperture, shutter, and focus indication; electronic leaf shutter; shutter, aperture, and manual focus on individual rings and dials; with the infrared autofocus, program implementation, size, weight, and feel of the Hexar.

11:49 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

I think what I want is something like the Konica Hexar, only digital. I think exchangeable on a Leica M is basically an unnecessary expense, they can't use zoom lenses, and have a very narrow range of usable lenses anyway. So just fix it with a fast moderate wideangle and be done with it. Maybe autofocus too. (Though some people say a rangefinder is more accurate, I haven't tried.)

12:20 PM  
Blogger fotorr said...

After years of digital Nikon D1,D1x, D2x, and D100,D200 I have finally found my dream camera! CV R2A with a 35mm lens. Yes, for personal work it is back to film. Professional stuff is done with the D2X and the D200. Yesterday is new again.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Hank said...

Littman 45s RF with Rodenstock 150mm Sironar-S and/or a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR 100mm and a Leaf Aptus digital back.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Seems like most people want an existing camera, and in that department make mine a Canon 5D with a wide to tele set of IS L lenses.

But my *FANTASY* camera is a prosumer-sized camera like my Minolta Dimage A1 with an L-class, image-stabilized 16-500mm f 1.2 lens with 1:1 macro focus throughout the range and tilt shift capabilities built into the lens mount. It captures with the quality and resolution of a Phase One P45 in DNG format files that are only 5MB large in up to 9 fps bursts with low, low noise up to 3200 ISO. The bright, 3" rear LCD tilts and swivels to 90 degrees and provides direct TTL viewing in record mode without the deficiencies of the Olympus porroprism. Did I mention that it's black, silent, weighs just 10 ounces and a single battery charge can support close to 1000 shots?

2:24 PM  
Blogger willfurniss said...

My dream is to have a f2.8 standard zoom with VR for the D200 then things would really be perfect, why don't Nikon make that???

In the meantime my Mamiya 7 has the most mojo in the camera cupboard.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Michael Canyes said...

There is no shortage of great cameras. What I would like to have is a camera bag that never gets bigger no matter what I put in it. And never weighs more than 1 pound.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Robert-Paul said...

Mamiya 6. Don't own it, but I'd love to have the 6x6 format, the big negative, and the portability/size.

On the digital side, the Pentax K10D is pretty tempting.

10:20 PM  
Blogger dyathink said...

My dream is for someone to come along take every bit of digital junk off my hands. With each successive upgrade from my first Sony 3.3MP Cybershot, i am more fascinated with the gizmo quality of digicams and more disillusioned with the NOISE which gets uglier and tougher to manage with each nudge upward in the pixel count. This year i have given away two digicams and traded another for a painting. That leaves the D200 which is gonna be next to go (if i can just summon up the guts to ask for a complete digital divorce).

I have gone over to film during the last few years and acquired some dreamy cameras: 2 Bronica systems (6x6 and 645), Leica CL and M7, Nikon F100 and a Converted Polaroid 110B with Rodenstock lens. i kinda lust after a Konica Instant Press camera but it's out of my reach right this minute.

My dream, and really it's more like a prayer, is for the film business to thrive and make technological advancements so that digital and film can exist side by side, each with its acknowleged applications and uses.

11:01 PM  
Blogger John said...

In the almost real world (i.e., this world but me having more disposable income) a Canon 5D. In the world that is not yet, that same camera but, as others have opined with weather-sealing and effective anti-dust removal. In body anti-shake would be welcome so that I didn't have to pay for it again and again and again with each new lens. A view finder that provides a one to one match with the images (as opposed to 95%) would be pretty spiffy as well. Wouldn't say no to a Leica M8, assuming it came with or I could afford the glass to do it justice. And, as long as the ratio of what I want to what I can afford is expanding, I'd take almost any medium format camera with a digital back.

1:45 AM  
Blogger sdumai said...

My dream camera?

My Nikon D70 was my dream camera when I bought it almost 3 years ago. The CAMERA hadn't CHANGED since then, perhaps I did. I am still unworthy of it, so what makes me think that a D2X / 1DsMkII / Noiseless 12800 ISO, 20MP, 10 takes a second, super focus gadget could bring me flashier dreams?

What my dream lens is? that's another story altogether... 8-)

2:35 PM  
Blogger stevierose said...

Well, I would not call this my "ultimate" dream camera, but honestly I would love to have a single focal length digital camera with a killer lens at a 35 mm equivalent of around 40mm with a good optical viewfinder and some manual control. Something like the Yashica T4 Super (or Olympus epic) was with some manual over-rides. And I would like it to produce fairly noise free files at higher ISO settings, like the Canon digital SLRs do. It doesn't need to be a micro sized camera, those are hard to hold steady, but it would be nice if you could carry it in your jacket pocket. Oh, and it would be nice if it could record RAW files.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Vladimer Nachkebia said...

Chrome Leica MP

6:28 AM  
Blogger Marco said...

I own my current dream camera: The olympus E-400 a.k.a "OM-D".

actually, I hope my dreamiest camera will be a semi pro (think nikon d200) body based on the e400, but weathersealed and optional grip. Listening olympus?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

Late post...

I'd love a digital Nikon FE2 or FA (with current matrix metering). You have to have a battery anyway so might as well have the AE.

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home