The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Monday, December 18, 2006

Print Offer: The Rockpile


Every Monday I offer a small edition of prints of my own pictures for sale to T.O.P. readers. This morning's print offer is a modest, delicate print that really is almost deserving of the term "black-and-white"—the water area is very high-key with just a hint of tone (a bit lighter than it probably appears on your screen) and the kids searching for clams are almost (but not quite) true silhouettes. The print size is quite small, on a 9x13" sheet. As usual, printed as a "carbon-on-cotton" fine print (carbon pigment ink on 100% cotton rag paper). This is not a limited edition picture but only six prints are available in this sale and in this printing, signed and numbered "T.O.P. 1/6" through "T.O.P. 6/6." Gallery print only this week.

T.O.P.'s print offers will be on hiatus this coming Friday and Monday in honor of the holidays, and will return on Friday 12/29.

Gallery Print, 6 available, $90 each.









Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

9 Comments:

Blogger robert e said...

Another very picturesque shot, Mike. Well done. 7D?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Robert e,
No, this one was shot a few years ago on a 5-MP Sony digicam. I actually ADDED Gaussian blur to the dock and lift in the background...too much d.o.f.!

--Mike

2:37 PM  
Blogger robert e said...

ahhh... I can usually spot the Gaussian blur trick, but this subject is particularly suited. I must confess, however, a very strong urge to darken it, particularly the dock.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

As one of the people who voted against print sales on the site, I have to say that I really like this image, it illustrates some techniques/compositions I'd like to try. Your conversation with Robert E shows that it's not the camera, but taking the shot that matters.

Thanks for sharing.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Bernard Piechal said...

I like this photo very much.
I would like to buy it... if it was REAL print, not the ink one.

On the other hand, if it was the REAL print, the REAL people coudn't afford it...

Which makes me feel out-of-date and poor...

;)

4:27 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but when I see a print (photo or otherwise) signed and numbered as "Joe Blow 1/6" (usually spoken as "One of Six"), I would assume this is a limited edition of only six prints.

I've never heard of re-numbering from zero a print edition each time you turn on your printer. Can someone enlighten me please?

Bob

5:32 AM  
Blogger Martin Storz said...

Mike,
I really like your pictures. And I am pleased to see that the photograpfer and not the camera makes the picture. I also try again and again more or less successfully with small and inconspicuous cameras to make photos, which one can look at. Unfortunately I found still no P&S-camera, with which I am really happy. And Leica M8 is too expensive.
Have a look to my blog:
http://thepubliceyeblog.blogspot.com/
---
Martin

6:15 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

There's nothing unreal about a digital print. In fact, I am liking my latest digital prints better than my darkroom ones.

In any event this does not come from a negative, so there is no easy way to make a silver print of it. That would not be its natural form.

Lastly, I would not sell a silver print for $90. I was selling silver prints for $150 when I was in art school, and that was twenty years ago.

--Mike

6:46 AM  
Blogger robert e said...

Bob, see this post

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/12/limited-edition.html

re the meaning of "limited edition".

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home