The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Monday, December 18, 2006

Photoshop CS3

Adobe posted a beta version of Photoshop CS3 last week and the reviews are streaming in. It certainly adds a great deal of speed to the application on my MacIntel desktop; others running PowerPC G5's give it lackluster reviews.

Photoshop CS3 download page

Martin Evening’s What’s new in Photoshop CS3 (PDF download)

Scott Byer's Blog

Adobe Photoshop CS3 Forum

Wayne Crosshall's review of Bridge CS3

Wayne Crosshall's review of Adobe Camera Raw CS3

Jack Nack’s blog


Deke McClelland's interface video



Blogger giomagphotographer said...

Well, 2007 is getting closer by the day...
Still, quite confused for the moment:
1: Bridge v Lightroom, do I need both?
2: Non-Intel performance: do I need to chuck my Powerbook G4 (or at a minimum leave CS2 on it and migrate my bulk photo processing to a new machine?)
Wish I knew. Guess I'll be waiting a few months until the betas shake out into the real thing. But you can shed some light earlier?

11:32 AM  
Blogger David Emerick said...


Don't really know how to advise you as I don't really know your setup and workflow.

At this point Lightroom is still a beta and free, so why not test drive it?

Bridge is packaged with CS2/CS3 so you probably have it as well.

Aperture is getting better and you can download a trial now.

As far as the G4, what specs? I still have a dual 1.4 Ghz G4 desktop at home, 3 years old now but still kicking strong.

Can you elaborate?


8:13 AM  
Blogger Rylee Isitt said...

The changes to camera RAW took me by surprise, at it competes very strongly with Lightroom's develop module.

Perhaps I am not the target market for lightroom. My interest in it stemmed only from its develop module. I use a system of folders and sub-folders to organize my photos and am determined (perhaps stubbornly so) to keep it at that.

Should it come down to me wanting a better categorizing system, there's always Bridge.

I think you can expect lightroom's library and bridge will share a very similar feature set and may even both access the same database. If so, lightroom would simply serve as a more focused and streamlined environment in which to work with your photos. I can see it paying off in situations where you have deadlines or if you shoot a high volume of images (or both). It promotes good workflow.

12:22 PM  
Blogger giomagphotographer said...

Dear David
thanks for your reply -- I was offline for a while
I am using a G4 Powerbook, 1.67GHz and 1GB SDRAM
Lightroom is quite fast on my machine right now, CS2 not as much! My concern is that CS3 might be even more of a crawler on non_intel gear.
I've tried the LIghtroom beta and liked the interface. My question is very much how Lightroom and Bridge3 are goig to overlap in actual use... As Bridge comes with CS3, would one need LIghtroom at all? I don't know that I want to give up Photoshop's layers... Still Lightroom is a pleasure to use--stright and to the point.
Time will tell, I guess
Thanks again

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home