The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Random Excellence

Vincent Benoit, Malaga, Spain, 2005

I'm just a photo junkie; I admit it. I love to look at pictures. A recent favorite is Vincent Benoit, some of whose work can be seen here. He also has a photostream on Flickr.



Blogger Robin P said...

Oh yes, those are good, very good - shows there is life yet in the B&W rangefinder street photography style.
I'm sure there are some who will say this sort of thing is outmoded but human interest subjects will always be popular and the man has such a quick, clever eye with a knack for good framing. It all adds up to a body of work way above average and with universal appeal.
Thanks for the link Mike, after the recent (understandable) political diversions it's good to have a positive reminder of why TOP is worth visiting daily.

Cheers, Robin

4:02 AM  
Blogger Adam McAnaney said...

That's great stuff. He really seems to have a little bit of everything in there.

Looking at his photos, you can just tell that he loves photography. There is a sense of pure joy in seeing the world and the people in it. Or am I just attributing my pleasure as a viewer to the artist? Doesn't matter - it made me happy.


P.S. Quick question: can anyone recommend a low-cost film scanner to be used to post pictures on the web? In other words, I don't need to produce 20 megabyte files for printing, I just want to be able to share my pictures electronically with a minimum of fuss (as little color and contrast tweaking as possible). Won't be a huge number of pictures, so don't need automatic scanning ability. For slides and negatives.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Robin P said...

Adam said
>>P.S. Quick question: can anyone recommend a low-cost film scanner to be used to post pictures on the web? <<
The words "low-cost" and "film scanner" don't usually appear in the same sentence Adam!
The requirements for neg scanning are more relaxed but to get good results from a contrasty slide can be costly.
Look around for a bargain priced Epson 4490 or Canon 5200F.

Cheers, Robin

8:17 AM  
Blogger Adam McAnaney said...

Thanks, Robin. I appreciate the tip.


I apologize for hijacking your post to ask a personal question. I realized afterwards that was bad manners. The question just popped into my head because Vincent is using scanned film as well.

Best regards,

8:24 AM  
Blogger gravitas et nugalis said...

Good stuff, but right now I'm wrestling with the notion that a lot of "good" photography I see these days I have seen before.

The view from old(er) age? Too much good photography to be seen in the interent era? Jaded?

I just don't know what to think.

My critera-of-the-moment for an "outstanding" designation seems to be - I image myself on limited budget (not hard to do) for collecting photography to hang on my walls. So the question becomes. "Would I blunk down some of my limited bucks on this?"

In this case, although the photography is "way above average", probably not.

Hey Adam

Be sure to get a dedicated film scanner - a low-priced used Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III should be too hard to find...

9:44 AM  
Blogger Chuck Schaible said...


Those are very nice. Sorry you seem to be catching some flak for your political views. For black and white photos, here are two sites you might want to have a look at, if you don't know them already. (Caveat: the second has some political content as well. But what doesn't?)

Stephen DiRado:

George LeChat

As for Benoit, it's great to see someone still using that old-time TriX.

Regards, Chuck

1:54 PM  
Blogger Charlie Didrickson said...

Great post,

Familiar without being cliche

Very nice

8:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

I'm sure i've seen fewer photographs than many that post here but I think this is great stuff. I don't think the consistent combination of strong composition and ability to capture the moment are all that common. Many of these shots have a subtle oddness that makes me take a second and then a third look...

2:06 AM  
Blogger Derek S. said...

I dig the geometry in his photography. Most excellent!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

After seeing the image you presented and reading the comments here I went there with great anticipation. But funny thing is I was hoping not to see a "butt crack" shot.

Sure enough:

Why can't "street" photographers control themselves and fight off the urge to shoot people's butt cracks? Is it the lay-up of street photography or something?

Nonetheless a very good photographer and some great images.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home