The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Monday, November 13, 2006

Printer Clogging Tip

I had an interesting discussion with a surprisingly knowledgable in-store Epson rep at a computer store yesterday. (She owns and uses no fewer than eight inkjet printers herself.) She passed along one tip: if you have an inkjet printer in which the printheads are in the unit and not built in to the ink cartridges, be careful to never let the printer sit without ink catridges in it—the heads will start to dry out, and this contributes to clogging. I had never heard this before and I pass it along for those it might help.



Blogger Max said...

From what I've seen, any thin ink duct that is not used for some time tends to dry solid after a while.It happens on the cartridges too, but on the printer part it must be a very costly repair, I guess.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Dibutil Ftalat said...

This is a fine tip to remember, however I spent two seconds to look up the manual to my ancient e785 (it was bought at the times when the manuals were supplied in printed form). It says exactly the same: "Remove cartridges only when replacing them, otherwise the print heads may clog"

8:14 AM  
Blogger Gordon McKinney said...

I owned an epson for a while and found it clogged all the time, with ink installed. This seems to be a common problem with the Epsons.

I have used HP and I'm now using Canon and neither clog or require extended cleaning cycles. I just switch on and it works, even if they sit for a month without use.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

...Me too. I started with Epson, which clogged; moved to Canon, which faded; and now use HP.


1:31 PM  
Blogger Al Benas said...

I've been using an Epson 2200 for close to 3 years now. It gets used in spurts, sometimes sitting dormant for weeks at a time. It is always on, and I do NOT use third party inks (that was the only time I ever had problems on any printer). So far no clogging. Maybe it's the ultrchrome inks? Or my good fortune? Or my aforementioned habits?

No brand war intended, just my experience.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

I've certainly not wanted to contribute to a brand war myself. I know anecdotal experience isn't proof of anything. Unfortunately it does have an effect on me personally, like it does for many others. I know I would be gun shy about ever buying another Epson printer.

In fact I almost plunked down for a 4800 last year, so I could get the advantage of the much larger ink carts. But I just got cold feet because of my poor previous experiences with Epson printers.

At the same time, I would never try to claim that "all Epson printers clog" or anything like that, and of course I believe you when you say youve never had a problem. All in all, it's difficult balancing all these factors in making decisions.


3:03 PM  
Blogger Impasse Lebouis said...


I was a die-hard Epson supporter while using an Epson 1160. I thought it would never happened to me. Finally, after using two Epson 1160 that clogger beyond any hope. I bought an Epson R220 a few months ago and guess what: the cyan nozzles have clogged and no amount of head cleaning is making any change.

Now I need an A3+ printer capable of doing neutral b&w on cotton papers, (dead serious: don't want any metamerism, bronzing, gloss differential, etc) but cannot decide to buy another Epson again.

As I do 95% b&w, color is a non issue with me.

I'd sure like to know about printers other than Epson's that can meet my needs.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've been talking up the HP B9180 because of its outstanding fade resistance and print life expectancy, but while I have finally seen one I have yet to corner the HP rep to see if he has any samples. I'm very interested in reviewing it but unfortunately a printer review doesn't fit my schedule right now. Still, I'd research that one first if I were you.

Best of luck.


6:54 PM  
Blogger Mike Potter said...

Michael Reichmann at has a review of the B9180. He was quite keen on it, but you should probably read the review for yourself.

Best regards,

11:53 PM  
Blogger Armando Perdomo said...

After read this blog I am having more doubts! Now, I have another issue to be concerned: Clogg!

I came here looking for help. I have been considering to buy a photo printer. I have to admit that it will be my first printer and I don't have a clear idea about what I need.
Before, I was printing my pictures in the Walgreen close to my house. Not a big deal but quickly and cheaper. A week ago I ordered my prints in flickr but I am completely disappointed with everything. They crop my pictures wrong, the color was awful, etc.

So, my questions are:

What kind of printer do you have in house? I am thinking in a printer with a good quality to show my photos, maybe frame them, even gift them to some friends.

What is your online site preferred to order your prints? I am thinking on a reasonable quality.

Do you have any experience ordering big prints? On canvas?

Thanks, I will appreciate any help


6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home