The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

'Camera Arts' Dirt Cheap

Camera Arts magazine is currently running a really good subscription offer in anticipation of its 10th Anniversary. Founded by Steve Simmons of View Camera magazine and named by unofficial advisor and regular columnist Jim Hughes (editor of the original, long-gone, early 1980s Camera Arts of sainted memory), the current magazine was purchased a few years ago by longtime editor Tim Anderson. Tim has done lots of good things: he's redesigned and reformatted the mag, started an excellent e-newsletter, is about to initiate a blog, and has some really good stuff in the way of editorial content coming up. From now until I don't know when (but not very long) you can get a year's subscription to the print magazine for a mere fifteen bucks.

No-brainer, if you ask me. An elegant, digest-sized, perfect-bound magazine, CA is one of the scant handful of print magazines still worth subscribing to (I'd tell you what the others are, but this is about Camera Arts). Personally, I would subscribe to it just for the regular dose of Jim Hughes, one of the best columnists currently writing. The fact that it's one of the few magazines that remains devoted to photography as an art form makes it worth supporting too. A subscription is a decent deal at $30. At half that there ain't no good reason not to sign on. To subscribe, go to the website and click on the Limited-Time Offer link in the upper left-hand corner.

Get it while you can—and don't blame me if you miss your chance.


UPDATE: I conveyed to Tim some of the problems people are having with subscribing. He replies: "At the bottom of the page on that PDF that pops up, there is a paragraph with a link. I think it’s the first line of that paragraph. That’s where they click to get to the subscription area."

As far as Adam's comment about "leveraging TOP's muscle," a picture is worth a thousand words:


Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

I second Mike's recommendation. I've been a subscriber for a while. It's a delight. Always interesting. In fact I just received the latest issue this week, which I plan to quietly digest tomorrow afternoon with some good coffee.

If you really enjoy photography, particularly photographic art, and derive inspiration from such material just do it. You will not regret it.

5:41 PM  
Blogger jt said...

"(I'd tell you what the others are, but this is about Camera Arts)"

Ok, I got my bargain subscription and I'm excited to receive the first issue... what are the other print magazines worth subscribing too?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

Ok, maybe it's me but I cannot figure out how to subscribe online. I click the link you mention Mike and it brings up a pdf file telling me how to subscribe for $15 and to do it online go to the home page. But no where can I find on the home page where to subscribe online. Little help? Am I missing it?

10:29 PM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said... what are the other print magazines worth subscribing too?

Brooks Jensen's LensWork. Perhaps the finest of its ilk.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Rick Morris said...

Lens Work is an excellent magazine. I subscribe to both the paper and extended versions.

web site

Well worthe the cost and the time to read it.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Clive Evans said...

Only works for USA not international..............shame!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Will said...

I can't figure out how to subscribe either using their website. There are some other "design features" there as well that I usually only see on less professional websites. It's too bad when seemingly good people/orgs won't spend the money to get a decent website.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Adam McAnaney said...

I have to agree with Clive (regarding limited offer to US residents), Richard and Will (regarding inability to subscribe and confusing website).

Mike, any chance you can leverage your TOP muscle to get this resolved?


10:06 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

I second the comments about their unfriendly website. Much of the content is accessable only if you save the plastic wrap with the mailing label. On it is a password that changes every month. I can't tell you how many times I dug through the trash to retrieve it. I tried re-subscribing with the new offer and get a pdf. If it wasn't for the sainted Jim Hughes, I'd say the hell with it.

10:11 AM  
Blogger winkalman said...

It's also worth noting that if you're going to sign up online you need to use the order code N612CAM for regular orders and X612CAM for gift orders. Otherwise the order page will come up with the regular subscription prices.

11:06 AM  
Blogger T Gibbons said...

Hi all!

I just wanted to announce that we've done away with the subscriber numbers on the website. Now all you need to access extended portfolios and other exclusive features is to register on our site. Come check out the new site, and never hesitate to tell us what you think!

P.S. More changes are always beiong made to the site. We hope to have the CameraArts blog and to be fully integrated by Thanksgiving.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

You mean none of you TOP sycophants threw Mike a bone and suggested Black & White Photography Magazine? :-)

I too am a Lens Work junkie and love Brooks' podcasts. I will also subscribe to Camera Arts as well on this special. It is a fine magazine and I look forward to the blog section.

It's nice to have these out there amongst the deluge of gearhead journals.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Hey, Is anyone else having trouble getting a subscription at the promo price?

I couldn't manage it online, so I called. For payment method, I asked to be billed. The bill arrived with a rate of $20. (I should've just paid it.)
I sent a check for the agreed upon $15 with an explanation.
Now I have a bill for $25 and still no copies of the magazine.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home