The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

LightZone on Digital Outback Photo

Uwe Steinmuller of Digital Outback Photo has posted a short preview of LightZone public beta 2.0.

Don't forget this is temporarily a free public beta download.

Here's a link to Uwe's longer review of LightZone 1.6.



Blogger Allen George said...

Unfortunately I've found the Lightzone 2.0 Beta to be extremely slow and memory hungry (almost 600MB editing a 5D file on my machine!). I have to be determined to work with it :)

I feel extremely foolish that I can't seem to adjust contrast well. I know the ZoneMapper/Finder is great for that, but it's like the circuits in my brain aren't firing... I just can't get a good handle on them. Everytime I make an adjustment, the results seem worse than curves in PS.

11:19 AM  
Blogger John said...

I've found it to be somewhat slow and cumbersome on raw files from a camera with fewer megapixels. At one point I recieved an error messag indicating that a file could not be opened because the memory capacity had been exceeded. In general, zone mapper doesn't seem to work well for me on files with a great deal of dynamic range. Even as I bring out some the detail at one end of the range I lose it at the other. This can be dicey with curves as well but I feel like I have a little more control The latest beta of Adobe lightroom has a slider called recover (I think) which seems to work for bring back some of the detail in the highlights.

11:27 AM  
Blogger J said...

Yeah, it's definitely slow and cumbersome. something like 10 minutes to export/save a file on a decent machine.

it's frustrating feeling like a noob again (which I am again).

I know some of this seems cool but I can't get a handle on it.

i've had some amazing results but i'm not sure what happened to make them that way :p not sure i could do it again if i tried.

maybe if you or somebody else were to put up a few workflow posts.
this is what i have, this is what i want, this is what i do sort of thing.

thanks for the tip.


11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home