The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

World's Smallest DSLR

Olympus has introduced a new DSLR, the cute little 10-mp E-400, billed as the world's smallest. The catch is that it's Europe-only for the time being. The major digital sites have published press releases and some pictures, but information is mighty thin on the Olympus websites I've visited, which include Japan, Germany, and the global site. There are to be two small lenses introduced as well, both zooms. There is nothing about it on the Olympus America site.


UPDATE: There is a hands-on preview of the E-400 at, including some delightful (well, to me) shots of the E-400 next to an OM-4T. Let's Go Digital also has a preview up.

Picture courtesy (used with permission)


Blogger Dwight Jones said...

After doing a little math, we see that the entire outfit weighs about as much as the lens on my E-1. The 4/3 system is finally delivering on the promise of smaller cameras and lenses. I'll get one even if I have to order a grey market camera from a foreign dealer.

9:12 AM  
Blogger kevin said...

nice to see Olympus bringing back some OM like compactness to their dslr line-up. move away from the spaceship like designs and embrace your roots Olympus! haha.

now... if they would wise up and put out a 4/3 version of the XA that would be sweet. a digicam rangefinder for the people. maybe they will be inspired to do so by all the interest in the M8.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Bas Scheffers said...

The E-1 already delivered the promise of smaller and lighter; take a Canon 1D (the standard pro camera in those days) plus a 24-70/2.8 lens and compare that to your E-1 + 14-54.

I know the 1D had better AF, metering and was faster, but I am amazed how few seem to see it that way. Instead they compared the rugged and weather sealed E-1 and fast and sharp 14-54 to a plastic 10D and toy 28-105 only to declare the E-1 bigger and heavier. No s*** Sherlock!

And then there is the question of "how small should you go?" I like the compactness of my OM-4, but I don't like the size of the E-500; it's just too small for what it is. Once a camera gets over a certain size, I want it to be the right size, which I think the E-1 is. I'll have an OM-4D, though.

Kevin: ditto on the "XA digital". 4/3 sensor (even if it's only the 5MP E-1 chip) and fixed 18mm lens. It can even have AF, as long as it has an Av mode and exposure compensation.

If under a grand, I recon it would sell like hot cakes to many DSLR owners who find digicams like the FX01 to fiddly and the 28mm GRD simply too wide. (like me)

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now... if they would wise up and put out a 4/3 version of the XA that would be sweet. a digicam rangefinder for the people. maybe they will be inspired to do so by all the interest in the M8.

Oh yes please

11:02 AM  
Blogger Robin P said...

Having recently sold my Pentax *istD to move to Olympus I was mighty frustrated by the earlier Pentax release news. Now very glad that Olympus has made their intentions clearer - go 4/3, you know it makes sense!

Cheers, Robin

11:21 AM  
Blogger William said...

Now if they would make one with my prefered ThreeTwo Standard I might buy one.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Morven said...

Has anyone found out why this is Europe-only? Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

3:20 PM  
Blogger al said...

At last a realy small dslr, this is soo tempting for its almost pocketability, oh I want one

5:50 PM  
Blogger StephaneB said...

Guys, wait until you look through the viewfinder. That's no OM-4! On the contrary, it borders to the unusable. As far as I know it is the smallest on the market.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Bernard Piechal said...

OK! So, the APPROPRIATE size is achieved. Very good. Now, i'm waiting for combining it with lack of nonsense functions (who need thematic programs?), well-made mechanical construction, good finder, good ergonimics, and, for God's sake, PRIME LENSES!
As for the ergonomics, I want shutter and aperture rings, a'la OMs, or at least controls a'la Panasonic DSLR.
This is program-minimum. As long as there is no camera with this, it cannot be considered "good camera".
Although it's a small step in good direction.

4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home