The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

On Improving

“Everything can always be better. This game is fluid. It’s always changing, it’s always evolving. I could always hit the ball better, chip better, putt better, think better. You can get better tomorrow than you are today.”
Tiger Woods, after his fifth consecutive win, including two major championships


Blogger Svein-Frode said...

Easy to say for a winner. It's just like hearing a billionaire saying that money don't matter...

I'm in a rut. Nothing seems to be changing, I'm stagnating, each new image suck, my latest print looks worse than the previous one, I've run out of ideas and time. I'm telling you: You can just as easily get worse tomorrow than you are today!

- Svein-Frode after three consecutive weeks of maculating mediocre prints

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Rob said...

Svein-frode, being a winner didn't give him that outlook. It's the outlook that made him a winner.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"It's the outlook that made him a winner"

Yes. That and extraordinary physical talent, a lifetime of singleminded devotion, and optimal parenting and conditions growing up.

I mean, let's face it, I could have the best attitude in the world and I'd still never break eighty.

--Mike, smilin'

8:20 AM  
Blogger Brambor said...

When Brambor goes to heaven there will be no golf courses, no golfer and no golf television shows.

9:06 AM  
Blogger david vatovec said...

"Don`t be afraid of perfection! You`ll never reach it!"
- Salvador Dali

9:26 AM  
Blogger Ken Tanaka said...

Competitive sports analogies and metaphors break down quickly when applied to endeavors such as photography.

Nevertheless, the concepts of continuous improvement do apply. Unless you're a professional who's become enslaved by past success in a narrow photographic genre continuously search for new ideas and inspiration. New subjects (big and tiny), new points of view on old subjects, different lighting, different seasons, new format, etc. Participation in themed contests (such as those at often lead to new skills and conceptual avenues.

Speaking personally, when I find myself working too hard on printing an image I generally just walk away from it for a few days. When I return I often discover that the image was not really worth the effort and expense.

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiger and Stuart Smalley would get along just fine together.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Ernest Theisen said...

Sometimes we try too hard. I know I do. I am a serious picture maker. I am not very good, not very talented, not very imaginative. But I am really serious. And sometimes I really make super pictures. When you see them on the wall you might say “Wow.” You might say “That is a nice picture, not great, not too bad.” But you know what...It is me. It is as good as I could have done last Saturday. Tomorrow is Sunday. If I can figure out how to make it better for me on Sunday I will spend a bunch of time working on that picture. I am sure only I will know if it was time spent well or time not well spent.Maybe I should get off that and get on to the next one? So when my granddaughter walks by an looks at Saturdays print and says “ Hey that is really nice PaPa” Maybe I am trying too hard. That means I must move on. svein-frode your images do not suck. I have never seen them but I know that they do not suck.You are not out of time and you are not out of ideas. Ideas are not a bank account.Ideas are a renewable resource. Go for a walk. Walk hard, don't think about walking.New ideas will come to you and there is always time. Ernest Theisen

2:04 AM  
Blogger scotth said...

The artist who aims at perfection in everything achieves it in nothing. Delacroix

Have no fear of perfection. You'll never reach it. Dali

The perfect is the enemy of the good. Adams

And one from my real job,

There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineers and put the @#$% thing in production. Unknown

I think it is important to keep trying to get better, but I think it is just as important not to let it get in the way of actually doing so.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home