The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Monday, September 18, 2006

Night Photography With a Legend, in an Amazing Location

by Joe Reifer

Joe Reifer, Mojave #189

The San Francisco Bay Area is a major hotspot for night photography, with a strong community of talented photographers affiliated with a night photography group called The Nocturnes. During the September full moon I had the opportunity to go on a road trip with one of the legends of abandoned places night photography, Troy Paiva.

Troy has been shooting abandoned places at night since 1989. His book Lost America: The Abandoned Roadside West recently entered a second printing, and is required reading for anyone interested in night photography. Troy's imaginative and colorful light painting work has been an inspiration to countless night photographers.

Troy and I headed off to California's Mojave desert for two nights of shooting at an airplane salvage yard. Needless to say it was a jaw-dropping location—giant plane parts juxtaposed with Joshua trees in the desert landscape. My photos from the trip are on flickr. Troy has a great set of images from the August full moon on flickr and will be posting photos from September soon. I hope you enjoy the photos!

Posted by JOE REIFER


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found Troys webpage years ago and I started that night taking night photos. It took a good 4 or 5 tries before I finally got a picture out of the deal but now I can go out on a full moon and get an complete roll to expose. It is very fun to do.
http://members.rushmore.com/~photoworld
has some samples of my nocturnal photos.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home