The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mike Johnston: 1:30 Saturday

The Guerrilla Gallery, Milwaukee

In conjunction with the WestSide Art Walk in Milwaukee, I'll be standing guard over a modest exhibition of my own photographs at the Guerrilla Gallery at 57th and Vliet Streets in the Washington Heights section of Milwaukee (the address is 5700 W. Vliet) from 5–9 p.m. Friday (tomorrow) and from 10 a.m.–4 p.m. Saturday.

I will also be giving an informal talk at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. I haven't decided what to talk about, since it depends on whether anyone shows up to listen (I do talk to myself, sometimes, but in that case I extemporize). The natural subject may be to talk about the transition from traditional black-and-white to digital color, since that's what's in the exhibit.

If you're in the neighborhood, please come by to say hello. I'll be around from 5 to 9 Friday and 10 to 4 Saturday.

—Mike J.


Photos courtesy Terence Morrissey

We had a nice time at the gallery on Friday and Saturday. There were lots of people in and out on Friday evening, mostly Milwaukeeans and folks from the Washington Heights neighborhood. On Saturday the rain kept the walkers away (art walks, like corn farming, are weather-dependent), but enough T.O.P. readers showed up for my talk to fill up the little gallery and yet not overflow it, which was perfect. Thanks to those who came, most especially Terence Morrissey., who flew in from Canada just to hear the talk! I took that as a mighty high compliment. (These are his pictures of the event.)

Thanks especially to Dan Schley, whose neighborhood spirit is the Guerrilla Gallery's reason for being—it's the front end of his office, which he's sunk a lot of money into so he can offer the space to artist friends for free. It's really a nifty little gallery that does a lot to brighten up the street and the neighborhood, a great gift from Dan and his wife Barb to their community.


Blogger Colin [] said...

Any thoughts of recording it for T.O.P.'s first podcast?

3:42 PM  
Blogger Albano Garcia said...

I'll love to go, but the ticket from Argentina is a bit expensive :-)
All the best, good show!

4:13 PM  
Blogger jim witkowski said...

Break a leg.

6:04 PM  
Blogger ricardo said...

How about a taste of the main dishes for those of us who can't go?

3:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I talk to myself all the time. I'm not always an attentive listener, but it beats being alone.

Good luck on the show!

4:13 AM  
Blogger Abba said...

Good Luck and since you will be speaking on the Jewish New Year may I take this opprtunity to thank you for you insights and wisdom on TOP. Refreshingly honest, funny and informative. Best wishes, Abba Richman, Efrat, Israel.

6:07 AM  
Blogger DarkoV said...

Good Luck and I'm with ricardo about the main dishes. We out here in the blogoshere have some coinage to spend as well.

8:58 AM  
Blogger dyathink said...

best of luck in the show! The gallery is really neat the lamps and all the wood. I'm sure you're stuff will look just great on the walls. Congrats!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Len said...

Good luck with the show!

I really like the first photo of the gallery, too - the building looks like it has a different shape than is revealed in the second photo.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Gordon J Millar said...

Congratulations Mike. Wish I could have been there too. Good luck planning future shows.


3:36 PM  
Anonymous Daniel Sroka said...

Congratulations on a successful talk/show. It looks like such a great place to host both kinds of events... I wish we had one in my neck of the woods (maybe we do.. I'll have to search).

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home