The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Monday, September 25, 2006

A Brief Policy Note

Many forums tolerate what are called "thread Nazis" (this is what they're called—it's not my term), whose self-appointed task is to keep all the discussions strictly on topic, never suffering anyone to stray. Although "The Online Photographer" is mostly about photography, occasionally there are going to be posts about painting, holidays, hairstyles, stereo equipment, historical figures, conspiracy theories, old friends, movies and television, current events, what I had for breakfast, cars—anything, in fact, that I might feel like posting (especially, I admit, if I think it's funny). If this oppresses your inner thread Nazi, do not despair: these are blog posts, not threads, so though we are guaranteed to go off topic occasionally, we will never stay there, but will, rather, in short order, and inevitably, return to the labelled subject. C'est la.

Ciao
, and also pax.

Posted by: YOUR FRIENDLY SUBVERSIVE SITEMEISTER

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, keep going off topic. That's what makes this blog fun to read.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

You left out the most important bit; its YOUR BLOG. That means you can run it any way you see fit, period.

On the other side of things, photo.net patrons will sometimes get in a twist becuase their posts got edited. "Whatever happened to free speech", they want to know. Well, nothing happened to it. You're free to start your own message board, and you can say whatever you want. It doesn't mean you can say whatever you want on someone else's site!

The occasional ramble is a good thing. Who knows, you might learn something unexpected.

8:10 AM  
Blogger pinholeman said...

Who killed JFK? And do you have a good recipe for potato salad?

(seriously, i enjoy your blog quite a bit... no matter the topic of the day).

8:13 AM  
Blogger thechrisproject said...

While you're defining policy, are there any guidelines as to what comments you won't approve? I've posted one or two that I thought were totally on topic, but that didn't get approved (or just got lost?).

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

"are there any guidelines as to what comments you won't approve?"

A lot of them do get lost, just because I approve it and Blogger balks at uploading it. I'll give it a few tries but I just have too much to do to spend a lot of time tracking down specific comments and making sure they got uploaded.

I do reject a few, but just because a comment doesn't get posted doesn't mean I've rejected it.

--Mike

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Dean said...

Hey!

I have to say, I feel that Kevin made a very good point above. This is a blog. It is a place for the owner to do whatever they like. When someone comments with the likes of "I don't subscribe to TOP to get updates on TV: can we move these to a personal blog?" I can't help but feel what incredible cheek they have (or perhaps they just miss the point). It is a bit like me going into someones home and telling them to change the paintings on the wall (and expecting them to do it).

Dean

3:30 PM  
Anonymous onslow said...

Rave On....I'll be back for more

10:59 PM  
Blogger JeffH said...

Mike, I like your blog just the way it is! I like the fact that you often go off topic. I also appreciate the fact that you filter the responses. (I read enough rants from disgruntled visitors elsewhere. ) I've learned about many new things unrelated to photography that I never would have known about if it weren't for the very interesting articles on this blog. I find your point of view quite interesting, be it a photographic topic or an unrelated tangent. Keep up the great work! and Thank you!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Big Mac said...

Off topic? What topic? I thought the topic was whatever you wanted it to be.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home