The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Friday, August 18, 2006

Commercials 'n' things

Richard Sintchak wrote to say that he thought the previous post was a "quite a commercial." Well, yeah! Alain and Natalie pay cash money to keep their ad in the left-hand column, along with the others whose ads you see there. So for sure, when they've got specific news for our audience it's only polite to pass it along. It's simple quid pro quo. Is there anything wrong with that?

What you don't see is that in July, I turned down a new advertiser...and his money. Why? Didn't seem like something y'all would be interested in. Wasn't appropriate. Didn't relate. Hence, I didn't think it belonged on the site. Stupid of me? I dunno.

On the other hand, I can't think of a better way for one of our European or Australasian readers to come experience America photographically than to go on Alain's Death Valley or Navajoland workshops. Honestly. It's easy to forget that North America has some of the most astonishing scenery on the face of the Earth.

So here's a commercial for Richard, who I know is a longtime reader and a thoughtful photo guy: He's got a nice little Holga site called Holga Blog you might want to go see (that's one of his shots up top). A Holga, of course, is the famous toy camera made of plastic. It used to be cheap, but the price has gone up in recent years, as you can see from the link. (Sure, it's only $14.95, but I remember when you could get one new for $6.95!)

The picture at right comes from, where you can find a bunch more pictures and some good information about Holgas.

Whew, two commercial posts in a row. I have to go put my feet up now.



Blogger Dan Mitchell said...

In a way I regard your "commercials" more like endorsements since I already value your perspectives enough to subscribe to your feed.

Take care,


2:40 PM  
Blogger Joe Reifer said...

I agree with Dan. Thanks for the link to Richard's blog - great stuff. On a slightly tangential note, I would like to endorse Randy at - hot rodded Holgas at a fair price.



4:07 PM  
Blogger m. said...

Sure, they're commercials. In a way so are most of the gadget reviews/articles here and elsewhere.

You're up front about it, so I'm not going to complain. I think your readers (and I) will have higher standards for the products you endorse like this, so you'd really better stand behind them.

6:33 PM  
Blogger pinholeman said...

i find your ads to be fair representations of what is out there to improve as a photographer. small price to pay for a fine blog!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

Thanks for the "ad" Mike. A more recent blog of mine is more often updated:

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home