The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Non-Photographing Non-Photography Day

Funky Nail Polish Prostrated by Heat

Well, my non-photography day turned out to be rather non-photographic after all. We've been suffering a heat wave in Wisconsin, and yesterday was the third day with the mercury crowding 100°. Naturally, the air conditioning in the car cut out at the onset of the heat. Years ago I explained to Zander, who was then six or seven, about mnemonics, and asked for his help in thinking one up to help me remember our license plate, which begins "FNP." Without much of a pause he said, "How about flying ninja turtles? Or funky nail polish." I've called the car Funky Nail Polish ever since. So our only real trip yesterday was to get Funky's coolant flushed and the oil changed, and to make an appointment to get the A/C fixed.

Apart from that, we hunkered in the house to wait out the miserable weather, and not much photography got done. I'm not enough of a hothead to swelter just for the sake of being contrary. Come to that, a lot of my days are non-photography days. I did have a digicam with me, though, and was not forced to immerse myself in the direct, unmediated experience of the muffler shop, savoring every moment.

So did anybody else take any pictures yesterday?

Automotive contradiction in terms: the Mufflers & Pipes super AMC Gremlin

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

7 Comments:

Blogger creezy said...

Sure! How could we stop this madness? ;-)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Scott Kirkpatrick said...

Sure, in passing --
http://www.pbase.com/skirkp/image/63715144

More interesting was shooting the first bites out of a building coming
down but that's a series.

Happy non-photography day.

10:01 AM  
Blogger dazedgonebye said...

I want that Gremlin!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Dave New said...

I hid out indoors as well. We are experiencing the same heat wave in SE Michigan, along with about 80%+ humidity (yuch). An 'ozone action day', according to the freeway signs in Detroit (why did I see those signs, he asks? because I still have a day job, and commute 75 miles roundtrip each day).

I did, however, compensate, by working through my images from the recent Nextel Cup race at Michigan International Speedway, back in June. I promised the nice kid that was sitting next to me I'd share some of my photos (CD is in the mail), in return for him leaning over so I could shoot the lead pit box without the obligatory loudspeaker pole that seems to intersect all interesting subjects at venues like this.

Aside from the fact that the race was rain-shortened (with a declared winner), I had a lot of fun with my grandson, snapping pictures with a long lens from the grandstands. Got some really nice pit action, in particular.

And no, I didn't miss the fun of the race because I was busy shooting (I only shot about 100 frames over the course of a couple of hours), and now I have all these neat photos, some of which I can print and give to my grandson to hang in his room.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Juan Buhler said...

I didn't take any pictures, but only because I arrived to San Francisco, back from Buenos Aires, and directly to work.

I did shoot about 800 DSLR pictures + 6 or 7 rolls of film while there.

This non-photo day thing is getting way more attention than it deserves though.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Dierk Haasis said...

Curiously I didn't take even one photo on N-P-D, as I was sorting through, annotating and putting on-line my Sunday shoot (Harley Days in Hamburg).

But I do have a brilliant excuse after all: I don't let my actions be dictated by someone with a half-assed idea. Neither in one direction nor the other.

I did not take a picture because [i]I[/i] wanted to; otherwise I would have shot just to be au contraire. Would have been as stupid.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I think the best thing you can do for non-photography day is to ignore it even exists!

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home