The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Thursday, June 01, 2006

T.O.P. Endorses: BLACK & WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY magazine

There are still some good photography publications out there. The innovation leaders are Lenswork Extended and Michael Reichmann's The Video Journal, both of which are well worth getting, and I like the classy new smaller-format Camera Arts. Digital Photo Pro is the leader among the new digital slicks, and of course I like Layers, "The How-To Magazine for Everything Adobe."

My favorite photography magazine is one I write for, Black & White Photography. Although it may seem a narrow niche, it always seems to have a lot for everybody. Consider this month's issue:

"The renowned photographer, writer, and winner of the Deutsche Borse photographic prize, Robert Adams, reveals what drives him in an in-depth interview. Accompanying him in this issue is Ragnar Axelsson, whose regular trips to the remote Faroe Islands have resulted in a stunning documentary of this archipelago, and Paul Strand, whose European work broke boundaries. Learn how to make paper negatives and thiocarbamide tone, in our technique features, and discover whether the Zeiss Ikon will take its place among the classics."

It's got interesting columnists (really, besides me), a regular feature on vintage cameras, exhibition news, and doesn't stick to only one style of photography, instead showing a wide range. It's very well edited (I know whereof I speak, having been a photo magazine editor myself), and maintains a high standard. Even 100% color digital photographers will be entertained, have their horizons broadened, and see some good pictures every month. Altogether top drawer.

It can also usually be purchased at Barnes and Noble bookstores.



Anonymous stevierose said...

It's also available at Borders.

10:01 PM  
Blogger dazedgonebye said...

I seldom miss an issue of Black and White Photography and I'm subscribed to Lenswork.
I spent a fortune working my way up through lesser publications.

11:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bit too tame overall. It's all so "nice". Perhaps the female editing is to blame, or is it just a chauvinistic stereotype? Your piece and the featured photographer are the only places where you can see some teeth. I'm a subscriber anyway (the sub-covers have no writing on it, which is great), but would prefer something more thought-provoking or controversial. Probably bad for advertising.

12:13 AM  
Blogger chris said...

I think its a great read but, I'd like to see a getter balance of traditional and digital techniques.


4:41 AM  
Blogger Hiding Pup said...

Fantastic magazine - certainly my favourite and the one all the non-photographers in the house seem to enjoy too. I won't hear anything bad said about Ailsa and the team - they're a breath of fresh air in an otherwise murky stew of geek-talk monthlies... I buy Black and White every month, and I'll subscribe just as soon as they good folk at GMC offer a nice freebie incentive to do so :-)

5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Borders yesterday checking out some photo magazines, and I was really turned off by the print quality in 99% of them. Lenswork is the only one I could find that looked good, thanks to its use of nice paper, gray ink, and tiny, randomly-placed dots.

Halftones ruin pretty things.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Edward Richards said...

Suggest to the editors that they lower the subscription price to the US - it is about as much as buying the mag in the book store. Surely they can post it to the US and come up with a lower price and still make more money.

6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home