The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Random Excellence

I just love this shot of Captain Nat Herreshoff's Gloriana, which won its first eight races in 1891 and then was voluntarily withdrawn by its owner, E. D. Morgan, to give some other yachts a chance! I don't know the name of the photographer. (Check out the sailor hanging from the spanner.) You can see (and even buy, I think) some other swell fin de siecle yachting pictures here (look at that sail area on the Vigilant). I'm a sucker for this stuff. I don't know what the most beautiful sailboat ever built might have been, but I'd lay odds it's a Herreshoff.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

6 Comments:

Blogger Ernest Theisen said...

Wow! First off, thank you. This site is breathtaking. Amazing photography.
I don’t know a thing about sail boats but I am a big America’s Cup fan. I hope we get it back someday. Dennis Conners where are you? I love them all but I think my favorite is First Day Of Racing 1903. I just love it.
The contrast between the random shapes of the rough water set against the matched set of perfect dark geometric shapes is perfect imagery.
My kind of stuff. Once again Mike, thank you for your work on this blog. I come back here several times a day just to see what is new and read the comments.

10:40 PM  
Blogger paul@blogger said...

Lots of opportunities for me to shoot stuff like this here in Seattle and this is good motivation. 

Consider the logistical issues of shooting these . . . 

11:44 PM  
Blogger Steven said...

At the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, MA., this summer is an exhibit of great sailing photography by Willard B. Jackson. Late 1880-1930's and all very grand.

Steven Alexander

8:33 AM  
Blogger Max said...

I saw it and an idea came to me: sails give the wind existence in a picture in a very special way, with a volume and tension that makes the air alive.
Beautiful, and a great picture to have on a wall at home. Peaceful yet transporting to new places. I always thought of pictures as windows.

8:48 AM  
Blogger SM Schwartz said...

There are great photographs ... the pepper, iwo jima, half dome, the kiss, the Minimata pieta, ... and this.

10:39 AM  
Blogger David Kelly said...

Mike: probably his mastewrpiece was theFisher's Island 31, but there were really many, check out this amazing site:

http://www.herreshoff.org/frames/mmvtboatsframe.htm

i learned to sail on one of his 12 1/2s, of which hundreds were built

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home