The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Vaporware and Non-

Pardon the irrelevance of this, since I'm not really in an equipment-buying mode at the moment, but I just think it's curious that, of the top ten products I'm most interested in right now, fully half are not actually available:

1. Sony's first DSLR(s), due this summer sometime
2. HP B9180 printer, currently in post-announcement, pre-availability (PAPA) limbo
3. Sigma 30mm ƒ/1.4 in K-M mount, announced well over two months ago and nary a peep since
4. Tamron 18-50mm ƒ/2.8 zoom, "Available in Late April" (um, isn't this May?)
5. Mac Intel desktops

Sign o' the times, I guess.

On the good side, I've received a review copy of ColorVision by Datacolor's PrintFIX PRO Suite, which consists of its latest Spyder monitor calibration device and software, and the Datacolor 1005 USB Spectrocolorimeter. The two of them together constitute the cheapest good closed-loop print calibration system—that I know of, anyway. My review of it will appear on Imaging Resource. I'll post the link, as soon as one exists.



Anonymous Josh Wand said...

So, what are the other four?

(and how does the Colorvision stack up to the comparable packages from GretagMacbeth and Monaco?)

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Dan said...

Mac Intel Duo desktops? I'm more interested in the quad-cored chip desktops that should be ariving early '07. :)

7:04 PM  
Anonymous John Robison said...

Mike, about the 30mm f1.4 I too have wondered in general; where are the fast primes for digital? Then I got to thinking that most of the lens mounts for DSLR's are hold overs from std 35mm SLR's with about 45 or 46mm lens flange to sensor distance. Even Olympus E system must be close to 43mm . This would make fast normal to slightly wide primes retrofocus designs, IOW big, fat, and expensive.
But oh, wouldn't it be sweet to have a four thirds RF camera about the size of a Olympus RC with a 17mm f1.4....well I can dream can't I?

8:19 PM  
Blogger Antti Rasinen said...

Uh, at least in Europe I've seen the Sigma lens in stores for months now. An acquaintance of mine owns one. Hard to call that vapor, really.

It's true that new PowerMacs are not out yet. But they have not been really released either -- Apple has only said that their entire computer product line will be Intel-based in June(IIRC). I wouldn't call it vapor either until in September or so.

2:26 AM  
Anonymous Sonnar said...

How about some (real) Carl Zeiss primes for your Sony/Minolta camera?

5:09 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

You've seen the Sigma 30mm in Canon, Nikon, and Sigma mounts. It was annouced in K-M and PK mounts around Feb. 23rd, and those are the ones that have not yet materialized.


10:27 AM  
Blogger Antti Rasinen said...

Oh right. Sorry, my bad :-)

I guess I'm inversely color blind, I just read the colored text. Next time I'll count to three and read the article again before posting stuff like that again =)

3:05 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Not a problem. I probably should have written out "Konica-Minolta."

Granted, most people don't care what's available in K-M mount or not.... (s)


3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home