The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Thursday, May 18, 2006

T.O.P. Endorses: SANDISK EXTREME III

Adding to the fledgling laundry list of products we think are totally safe to endorse as the best of the best, the creme de la creme, the pinnacles of achievement in their respective niches, today's paragon is the Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB.

When I first started getting press releases from Sandisk, I didn't even know what flash memory was. Lotta water under the bridge since then, for sure. To forestall the inevitable battery of questions: Yes, it's what I use. No, I haven't tried every other brand on the market. No, I haven't done exhaustive, scientific point-by-point comparisons with 9 different cameras to make sure the Sandisk Extreme is just that teeny, tiny bit faster than its closest competitor, thus insuring pointless hyper-male armchair bragging rights on pimple-faced forums in England. And I get off on Wisconsin Avenue, third stop, across from the Y, that's where I get off.

So, why? Well, Sandisk has the reputation of being a) blazing fast, b) usable in a wide range of temperatures, c) stable, d) durable, e) reliable, and many of those other nice marketing words. Can't disprove any of it by me. Mine work flawlessly. Even though they all cost three times as much per MB as the darn things now go for. (Ya hate it when that happens.)

Really why: Because why use any card that doesn't let your DSLR be as fast as it can be?

Two GB is a nice big size and cheap per MB. What, would T.O.P. steer you wrong? Get two.

Price: $102 plus shipping and so forth.

Where to buy: Amazon. It's actually cheaper at Amazon than at B&H right now, and Amazon has 'em in stock. Ask me how I know. (No, actually, don't ask me.)

This is an actual unpaid, unsolicited endorsement, although we do get a few pfennigs if you buy yours at Amazon.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

13 Comments:

Blogger Scott Kirkpatrick said...

It's interesting to see that the sweet spot has moved to 2GB already. The best deal in town is a 2GB Extreme III SD card at B&H for $99. But in half an hour the results could change.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous 01af said...

> Sandisk has the reputation of being
> a) blazing fast, b) usable in a wide
> range of temperatures, c) stable,
> d) durable, e) reliable ...

And it still is the only memory card I ever encountered data loss due to card failure with :-(

-- Olaf

6:19 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Nothing's perfect.

--Mike

6:51 PM  
Blogger carpeicthus said...

Yeah, I love 'em. Got two. I like buying in 2GB sizes because it's big enough for small jobs, and for big jobs I'd rather have one card fail out of a few than one giant card ruin everything.

Never had a problem with them. Had a microdrive ruin a job once; not recommended.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Razvan said...

You have a typo here, as far as I can tell: "As me how I know".

And, this being my first comment here, I have to say I like this site ;)

1:19 AM  
Blogger Ballistic said...

Marketing hype. I bought Transcend 120x 4GB CF cards for the price of the 2GB Sandisks. They rate top on Galbraith's overview.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous stefan randlkofer said...

a sandisk story: after a hot day shooting i rushed home, threw my shirt in my brand new washer/dryer (a Miele, the toughest there is) washed it a 60 degree and tumble dried it superdry for 90min, just to discover that i left one 2MB sandisk extreme card in the shirt pocket. it smelt nice , but was nearly to hot to touch. i let it cool down and sliped it into my old ixus to check (didn't want to fry my comp), it worked. downloaded all imeges on my card without one glitch. i am still using this card on a daily basis for half a year now. i am 100% extreme now!

4:04 AM  
Blogger Hiding Pup said...

I've gave a kindly old pensioner the Sandisk RescuePro software from my card the other day. Since then, he's been charging folks £10 for data recovery! With Sandisk, you can actually make money it seems...

4:24 AM  
Blogger Dave New said...

What I like is the lifetime guarantee, and Sandisk backs it up nicely.

I had an old, smaller Sandisk card fail by refusing to let the camera or computer write to it anymore. After having a short discussion with the Sandisk phone tech support, and reading the little numbers on the edge of the card to them, they sent me an email with a printable UPS label to return the card to them for free, and they cross-shipped me a replacement. And, since the older version was no longer available, they sent me a higher-speed version of the same capacity. And the replacement card has the same lifetime guarantee.

Of course, that's only one data point, but I'd have to say that that encounter with Sandisk's waranty policy really impressed me.

7:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have had a Sandisk card fail. Although, it was ultra II and not extreme III. Ultimately, the lifetime warranty on the Corsair 133x card I bought won me over.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Peter said...

The price competitiveness of SD with CF makes me very happy I got my Minolta SD-CF1 when I had the chance:
http://www.camerahacker.com/Minolta/SD-CF1.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008WD8W/002-1877674-6258414?v=glance&n=502394

Now I can just see what's best bang for the buck on the market and buy the card to match. It'll all work in my 5D.

9:28 AM  
Blogger David Emerick said...

PhotoRescue is worth the $29 investment in sanity.



A Data Rescue product

cheers

David E

9:49 AM  
Anonymous ken tanaka said...

The mixture of experiences recounted and reactions to this topic really highlight both how strong and how fragile brand loyalties can be. For quite some time I was a Lexar-only buyer. For no hard reasons I had the impression that Lexar made the ultimate in reliable memory cards and readers. I didn't even consider any other brand.

Until one of my Lexar cards went flooey one day. My confidence began to wobble. The tumbling event came just a few weeks later when my Lexar card reader also met the hereafter. That was it. Lexar was out, every bit of it headed to the landfill.

In came SanDisk cards and SanDisk readers. That was two years ago. Now with perhaps two dozen SanDisk CF cards ranging from 1Gb to 4Gb, half a dozen 1Gb SD cards, and two SanDisk readers it's become my brand of loyalty. I've not had a single glitch with anything SanDisk. Perhaps 30,000 combined images recorded and read flawlessly under conditions ranging from tropical heat and humidity to arctic temeratures.

But just let one of the little buggers piddle on the floor just once (well maybe I'll tolerate twice) and they'll join their Lexar brethren in the unemployment pile.

SanDisk rules! Long may it live (or else).

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home