The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

The "Summicron Set"

mzsupa5 [a Pentaxian, methinks] comments: "I think Olympus are missing a trick in not creating a range of consumer cameras around its 4/3 chip. A fixed lens SLR a la E10/20, wide angle prime lensed compact (think XA, not the slow reacting stylus/mju). Plus the usual range of digicams. Buyers wanting more camera would 'grow into' a 4/3 DSLR in time."

Amen, sez me. And while we're at it, now that Leica has made one lens for the 4/3rds mount, I'd like to renew my call from two years ago for Olympus and Panasonic to coerce Leica into developing a "Summicron Set" for the 4/3rds system:

---•10mm ƒ/2 (20mm-e)
---•12mm ƒ/2 (24mm-e)
---•14mm ƒ/2 (28mm-e)
---•17 or 18mm ƒ/2 (34 or 36mmm-e)
---•20 or 21mm ƒ/2 (40 or 42mm-e)

Okay, so I'm fantasizing a lot lately. But I still think that this would bring an ideal set of primes into the system, take advantage of the 4/3rds sensor's small size, and make 4/3rds a no-brainer for a certain type of street/art/pj photog.

Do it, Olympus! Ya listening? Hello? (Awww....)

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Featured Comment by Matthew Robertson: "
If Leica would do it, I'd line up to buy a couple of these. Of course, they'd need to be weather-sealed, which (if memory serves me correctly) the 14–50 Leica lens is not. The E-1 with a couple of nice ƒ/2 WA primes would be perfect. Small, quiet, and quick. Who needs a digital rangefinder?"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Jeffrey Weeks said...

Amen to that. I am craving a great camera which is small and quiet.

I would also love to see Canon take its 20D sensor and put it into a small, sturdy, sealed rangefinder with a really good 16 L lens. I would not want to see a flash on it. It would need full manual controls and be as light and quiet as possible. Now, that's a camera I would love to have.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Daniel Liu said...

Funny you should mention Pentax, I think they have more (specifically) digital prime lenses than everyone else combined. Or close to that. Then again they're all really weird (21mm f/3.2??), which, props to them for trying, but their marketing folks must be having a heck of a time.

12:15 AM  
Anonymous jeroen said...

I'd very much like Nikon to build DX-primes as well. A 12/2.8 and a 30/1.8 would be nice.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Frank P said...

I wouldn't need anything as exotic. I think the Nikon D200-D70 bodies are really fine, although I would love a RF version. And inspite of my grumblings about the slow, cheap, plastic primes Nikon (and Canon) are selling, each of the current primes 20-24-28-35-50-85 are stellar performers in cheap housings. Expect for that blasted 50/1.4, which would be my favorite portrait lens except for its danged five blade hexagonal aperture.

I'd gladly pay double the current price for the Nikon primes in a better quality lens mount, with AF-S (no switch to use manual) focusing, and a couple extra aperture blades. A 24/2 and a 60/1.4 would be nirvana for me...

While they're at it, a good 1.5x wide angle that doesn't bust the bank and isn't distortion prone would rock, but that maybe too much wishful thinking.

1:27 PM  
Blogger mzsupa5 said...

Pentaxian? wrong guess Mike.Apart from a couple of XA2s,one slide one neg and an OM10 I never was much of a film photographer. Selling the OM10 got me the down payment on an Oly2040 and I ran out of patience waiting for 4/3 vapourware to "condense" so bought a 10D. You were close though as I do have a screwy side; collecting dirt cheap Zeiss M42s from car boot sales and junk shops.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike

Whatever happened to your gathering and summary of comments on what Joe Public would like to see featured on their ideal digital camera, as posed on LL some months ago ?

regards

JohnR

4:28 PM  
Blogger Matthew Robertson said...

If Leica would do it, I'd line up to buy a couple of these. Of course, they'd need to be weather-sealed, which (if memory serves me correctly) the 14-50 Leica lens is not. The E-1 with a couple of nice f/2 WA primes would be perfect. Small, quiet, and quick. Who needs a digital rangefinder?

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home