The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Shock- and Water-Proof

Although of course it won't be available in North America, Ricoh has announced a fascinating little camera called the Caplio 500G. It's an 8-megapixel small-sensor digicam with an "ideal" zoom (3X, 28mm-e to 85mm-e). But that's not the interesting part—the interesting part is that it's waterproof, dust-proof, and impact resistant (Ricoh claims it can be dropped onto hard surfaces from 3' with no harm). Kewl.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

4 Comments:

Anonymous Nathan said...

I want one.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

I want one too, but with a 4/3rds sensor, a fixed 40mm-e ƒ/2 lens, and built-in anti-shake.

--Mike

1:59 PM  
Anonymous stevierose said...

"I want one too, but with a 4/3rds sensor, a fixed 40mm-e ƒ/2 lens, and built-in anti-shake."

Me, too, brother! I'm eyeing the Canon SD700IS because of the IS. Unfortunately they felt the need to mate it to a 4x Zoom....

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Nige said...

I have a Nikon ActionTouch (Waterproof, sharpish 35/2.8 lens) and a Ricoh GX (28mm zoomy, hotshoe).. this combines what I like about either into one unit. Excellent! however, no matter how many times my wife drops the Ricoh, it keeps functioning! The Nikon, I bought in 1990 and it still works the same as the day I got it. hopefuklly when they die, Ricoh will have one of these available!

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home