The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

The Brindle Pup

Checking out a bark

I spent more time with a camera in my hands than with my hands on a keyboard this weekend. The big event at our house was the arrival of Zander's new puppy Lulu, a mixed breed foundling with a super-sweet disposition. She's gentle, affectionate, and amazingly calm—at least if there are no kids playing nearby. We spent the day in Chicago yesterday with my friend Gabi, who reluctantly had to place Lulu for adoption. Gabi's three cats were threatening to go out on strike if the annoying non-feline creature who had invaded their space didn't get gone and pronto. (Cats!)

Now Zander has announced that if I turn out to be allergic to Lulu, I'll have to be placed out for adoption myself, although he has promised to place me with some kind owner who will allow him to visit. You've never seen a 13-year-old more besotted with a dog. Awake, asleep, playing, watching TV...dog and kid have barely spent five minutes apart since the minute they met.

It's a look: aside from her lovely brindle coloring and a white blaze on one side of her muzzle, Lulu's distinguishing feature is that she has one ear that stands up and one that flops over. Snazzy!

One Ear to the Wind!

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I spent more time with a camera in my hands than with my hands on a keyboard this weekend."
Sounds like a good exchange to me.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Pancho said...

Glad for all involved that the puppy has come to live with grateful owners. As Andy Rooney said, "The average dog is a nicer person, than the average person".

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Puppy. Puppy. Puppy!

I am reminded of the epic poem:


You gonna eat that?
You gonna eat that?

I'll eat that.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Hiding Pup said...

Wow, Mike! you take snapshots like ordinary people too :-)

4:47 AM  
Blogger John Roberts said...

They chose to keep the cats instead of the puppy? I think both you and the puppy got the best part of that deal! Lulu deserves better than to grow up in a home with such mis-placed allegiances as to choose cats over a dog. You can bet Lulu wouldn't choose a cat over you!

Remember, your dog looks at you as family. A cat looks at you as staff.

5:05 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

That's all I take is snapshots. All I've ever taken, in fact. All I've ever cared to take. All I want to take! All....

--Mike

7:43 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Congratulations! She looks like a pit bull mix; I have a huge soft spot for pit bulls. Wonderful dogs.

Good luck with her!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

We're saying she's half Staffordshire Bull Terrier (pit bull) and half Jack Russell Terrier. That's our story and we might even stick to it. More likely, since she was found wandering the streets of Chicago, she's half fighting dog and half Heinz 57.

But she's a wonder. Amazingly affectionate and even-tempered, without being dumb or slow.

--Mike

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home