The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Monday, April 17, 2006

Website of the Week

There's an almost intimidating amount of work available to view at photographer Carl de Keyzer's website. As I've said before, I think the best way to approach sites like this is not to poke and pick and pluck, and certainly it's not to speed through everything like you're taking some kind of memorization course. I'd suggest selecting one of the entries in "Books" and looking at it carefully. Mindful, as ever, of the "tiny JPEG" admonition (i.e., that we're not really seeing these pictures at these sizes and resolutions).

A lot to see and learn from at de Keyzer's site.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON
Picture: Carl de Keyzer, Man Preaching on a Daytona Beach, Florida, 1991

6 Comments:

Anonymous Igor I. said...

I am not commenting on the photos (sorry!), but am using this as a chance to vent my annoyance at animated websites.
I am astonished that the wackiest sites all seem to belong to photogs and other people of arts. If you click on some personal photo web-site, it's a 50% chance some moving/jerking/spastic weirdness will jump in your face, and you will be puzzled how to make it stop!

(ok, ok, I know that ugliness is in the eye of the beholder, but I wonder how many of you feel the same way :-))

Igor I.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Steve Rosenblum said...

Wow! I am not worthy! This is a wonderful website with really fantastic photography. Thanks for pointing me to it.

10:43 PM  
Blogger le vol ou le cerf-volable said...

yes. really wow... it makes me think about a lot of photos that i would have taken. quote and adaptation: photos are the images toward which we feel the need to respond and we can not imprint them in the mind. ps: sorry for the bad english : )

5:23 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

I've looked through the Siberian Prison Camps set so far.
They are wonderful photos.

But I am confused as whether to view them as art or as documentation.

I've decided that if a project is art, then documentation and knowledge of the subject are a distraction. And if it is documentation, then Art is a distraction.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Giles said...

I really enjoyed this. I really enjoy these 'animated' web sites - I think it breathes life into the photographs (view them on a computer does tend to sterilise the experience though). If you want to view the photograph for longer you can always pause the play.
If you want a new life of web sites you could look here:
http://www.americanphotomag.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=3483

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Giles said...

I really enjoyed this. I really enjoy these 'animated' web sites - I think it breathes life into the photographs (view them on a computer does tend to sterilise the experience though). If you want to view the photograph for longer you can always pause the play.
If you want a new life of web sites you could look here:
http://www.americanphotomag.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=3483

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home