The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Short Dye Transfer Note

A few people seem to approach photography from a "technical status" viewpoint—as if every assertion about technique is concerned about what is "better" and "worse" and what that says about where they themselves stand in some imaginary hierarchy.

All I was saying in "The Nearly Lost Art," below, is that you might want to consider buying a dye transfer while you still can, if owning one interests you. It's definitely dying out [sorry] and not so long from now it will be a lot more difficult to get one. This sort of thing interests me, is all: I own examples of a variety of different photographic techniques. That includes several vintage (c. 1910) and several contemporary platinum/palladium prints, a couple of tintypes, several Daguerreotypes, and so on. I passed up a chance to buy an autochrome many years ago and I wish I hadn't.

Yes, I own a few dye transfers (just not the ones I really want).

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jernej said...

Ah, now I get it ;)

Personally I don't care how or why a print was made, to be honest I don't really care much about prints in general.

There's nothing, apart from size, that would make me want to get anything printed. I admit there's something "magical" about a big print but I don't care about it too often to bother.
Dead trees (and recycled rags) for no particular good reason a far as I'm concerned.

Cibachrome, autochrome, silver gelatine, daguerrotype or a magazine... a print is a print that's all I'm saying. I simply don't see what the fuss is about. Where's the fun in looking at a print and wondering how it was made?

I know you old schoolers don't agree with me. ;)

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Wilhelm said...

There's very little color work available from the first 150 years of photography worth saving (I expect that to change with the advent of virtually effortless archival digital color printing). Even those gorgous big "Cape Light" C-Prints in the Boston Museum are gonna fade like an aging opera diva. But if you want the quiet images of Eliot Porter, or the dynamic ones of Ernst Hass then Dye Transfer Prints are the only means.

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To jernej,

You should go to a musuem with a good photo collection and look at the prints really closely especially the daguerretypes then maybe you really "see" for first time.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home