The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Photography Should Be Hard

Hot off the ether is Charlie Cramer's review of the PhaseOne P45 39-megapixel back on Outback Photo. I don't want to make too big a deal out of this, but Charlie Cramer is a real photographer with decades of experience of using 4x5 and making dye transfer prints: as I mentioned in an earlier post about him, he's got an eye and really knows what he's doing. I say this without comparing him to anybody else or anybody else's work. But I do tend to pay just that little extra bit of respect to what he says.

Yup, even when he gushes a bit....(as we used to say on CompuServe, "grin, duck, and run").



Anonymous Sonnar said...

I wish more reviewers could take decent, interesting pictures with the cameras they are testing, and then show them to us in the magazine or on a web page.

No names mentioned, but some reviewers take the most hopless snapshots and present them with the articles. It is just to illustrate the capabilities of the lens or the camera, they might say, but I like to see good photography even in gear tests.

My suspicion is that some of these reviewers are not photographers at all, they are tech people and the bad pictures they show us is the best they can do.

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Josiah Davidson said...

I don't understand the title of your post: "Photography Should Be Hard".
Do you mean that film is hard and digital isn't? Or that Cramer's newfound digital IS hard because his digital gear is so expensive?

I am encouraged that we are getting close to be able to do digital work that is comparable in technical quality to what we have been able to do with large format film. I am discouraged that it is prohibitively expensive to do so.

I remember back in the 80s, while lugging around my tons of 8x10 equipment and holders, that I imagined I might be doing my 8x10 work digitally in 10-15 years. Apparently I miscalculated by a factor of about 2-3. Progress is slow in coming.

Thanks for this website!

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No photography should be made as easy as possible, just like food and learn to enjoy the gtood things no matter how they are produced

6:40 PM  
Blogger C. Stirling Bartholomew said...

This shot looks like my back yard :-)

To see what I mean take a look at some of my recent swamp photos.


1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home