The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Friday, April 07, 2006

Doug Plummer's Dispatches

by Paul Butzi

Doug Plummer, a photographer in Seattle, has been making the transition to a digital workflow for a while now, and has been posting his thoughts on his blog. Since Doug is ahead of me in the transition to digital, I’ve been reading his blog as a sort of "leading indicator" of what issues I'm going to be addressing in the future.

Naturally, just when I've been doing a lot of thinking about digital camera resolution and the tradeoffs we make with camera size and flexibility, that synchronicity thing happens, and Doug makes a post about trading down in resolution. Yes, down; he's swapped his EOS-1Ds mk.II for an EOS-5D, because the 1Ds mk. II is just too big and heavy.

Doug (left) has an impressive ability to cut through the technology haze and drill right down to the bottom line—how will this technology help him get from the image in his head to the photograph on the paper. So when I read that Doug seems to have decided that the resolution of the 5d is "enough" and that even though the 1Ds mk.II has more resolution, the size and weight of that camera are less than ideal for the work he does, it makes me sit up and take notice. That's especially true when Doug says that the 1Ds mk.II is losing value quickly because other pros are also trading down.

Doug's blog is good reading all the way through. In particular, it's worth going back to his first post on the 5D to get his first impressions of the camera.

Posted by PAUL BUTZI



5 Comments:

Blogger eolake said...

"he's swapped his EOS-1Ds mk.II for an EOS-5D, because the 1Ds mk. II is just too big and heavy."

I did the same thing. I sold my Nikon D2x when I got the D200. I was never happy with the bulk/weight of the D2x.

Granted, the difference in resolution is negligible. As it is for all other parameters that count for me. I'll bet anything that sales of the D2x also took a big hit when the D200 was released, just like with Canon.

1:34 PM  
Blogger eolake said...

"he's swapped his EOS-1Ds mk.II for an EOS-5D, because the 1Ds mk. II is just too big and heavy."

I did the same thing. I sold my Nikon D2x when I got the D200. I was never happy with the bulk/weight of the D2x.

Granted, the difference in resolution is negligible. As it is for all other parameters that count for me. I'll bet anything that sales of the D2x also took a big hit when the D200 was released, just like with Canon.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous auspiciousdragon said...

Me? I'm thinking of trading "down" to a film camera:

http://www.auspiciousdragon.net/photostream/2006/04/mission-impossible.html

1:40 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I'm Monday-morning quarterbacking since I've never shot with professional-grade equipment, but I'm not surprised at Plummer's decision.

What I'm surprised at is that he bought a 1Ds in the first place. As far as I know, Canon always defined the 1Ds line primarily as studio cameras, and the size and weight of the contraption could hardly have been a surprise to Plummer. I can only assume that the lure of "full frame" overrode his common sense :-)

I'm sure that he wasn't alone, though, and that probably is the major factor in the crashing resale prices that he mentions.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Doug Plummer said...

Well, the reason I got the MarkII in the first place was so I could submit files to my stock agency, Getty. At the time there was no alternative in the Canon line.

I want to publicly thank Paul and Mike for the post about me and my blog. It has upped the traffic to it by a couple orders of magnitude.

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home