The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Friday, March 24, 2006

T.O.P. Wins 2006 Scotty for 'Most Interesting Photography Blog'

I swear I had no idea. I was knocking around my local CompUSA and saw a magazine I'd never noticed before, called Layers. It was $9.95*, which made my Scottish gene kick in, so I quickly put it down. But then, continuing to eye it narrowly, I noticed that it had a lot in it about photography, so I picked it up again and cracked it open. Editor and Publisher, Scott Kelby.

I figured, well, if it's Kelby (well known as the author of many books on digital imaging and computers) it's worth a look. So I rationalized it by thinking, hey, I can blog about it.

On to The Taste of India for some chicken saag. I was alone, so I brought the magazine into the restaurant and was paging through it. The back page was headed "It's Time for the 2006 Scotty Awards"—the first annual, actually (the current issue of Layers is only Vol. 2 No. 2). I read down the first column to "Best New Blog: Terry White Speaks." So there I sat, sucking my lassi with a straw, feeling vaguely sorry for myself, thinking, darn, wish I'd known how to put in a nomination. And then....

Holy Cow! We WON! T.O.P. won a Scotty, by gar. For "Most Interesting Photography Blog." Quoth Mr. Kelby, "This blog...is a total departure...and I just love it." Our first-ever award! And possibly our last-ever, too!

Thanks kindly, Scott. I'm honored, on behalf of myself and my fellow contributors. Although I must have missed the part about where to go to claim the cash....

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

*Much less if you subscribe.

10 Comments:

Anonymous ankit said...

Awesome! Congrats. I really like this place, and it keeps getting better :)

11:17 PM  
Blogger shaggy dog pix said...

Congratulations, too! It's a darn fine site.

11:37 PM  
Blogger expiring_frog said...

Congrats. Where's the champagne?

1:55 AM  
Blogger Ulli Mueller said...

Herzlichen Glueckwunsch!

6:51 AM  
Blogger chas3stix said...

Congrats Mike! Way to go!

10:00 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

I concur.

BTW, how was the magazine?

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Giles said...

You deserve it. BTW - with all these fabulous blogs and photo sites - is there still a place for the magazine?

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Ian said...

Well deserved.....as always I leave your sight thinking mmmmm.... Thanks for the insights and expanding the horizons

2:37 AM  
Anonymous 01af said...

Umm ... is anybody really surprised (I mean besides Mike)? T.O.P just *is* the most interesting photography blog. I'd be surprised if that'll be the last-ever award.

4:02 PM  
Blogger David Emerick said...

Nice Job, Mike!

d

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home