The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

'THE' Printer Arrives!!!

(Three exclam-
ation points? Hothead. Hooyeah, I'm fired up.)

This is "THE" printer I've been waiting for.

My expertise was originally in darkroom work. I'm a printer as much as a photographer, or a bit more. I love the craft and creativity of fine printing, and I love looking at fine prints. I've seen the best.

I've known this printer was coming (as mentioned in the second-ever post on this blog). No conclusions—I haven't seen it, much less used it. But keep on top of the reviews, my friends. Follow along. I have a feeling this one is gonna be killer.


UPDATE: Digicam Review has some preliminary stuff online here. (Thanks, Joshua.)


Blogger Joshua said...

Hi Mike, I got to look at the printer in person, and the results were stunning! I took some photos of it, and it's output and have put it on-line here.

2:42 PM  
Blogger David Emerick said...

Ia am really interested to hear your feedback as a critical printer of yore. Do you know if there are plans for a larger format model??

Have fun

3:31 PM  
Blogger eolake said...

I am curious what makes you think it is (significantly) better than the Epson printers? I have an Epson 4800, and it is hard for me to imagine much improvement.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Joshua, THANKS.

David, it's really the technologies that are exciting. I have no doubt they'll find their way into the bigger printers eventually.

Eolake, way to douse me with the cold water, man! The HP is a $700 printer. It competes with the Epson 2200, not with the 4800, which is a $2500 printer.

I'm not an expert on inkjet printers. I only know that I'm addicted to the picture and color quality of my HP 8450 on the HP papers, especially the soft-gloss, and I've been really impressed with what I've read about HP's recent R&D in ink longevity, printer speed, and ink recovery.

I just wanted to alert anyone looking for, or thinking about, an A3 printer to be alert to Vincent's review. Personally I can't wait.


7:31 PM  
Blogger eolake said...

C'mon, man, I didn't mean it like that.
It's just that I could not remember what Epson's A3 printer was called.
I guess if you already use and love an HP printer, it's natural to want the next gen.

I am not being partisan, au contraire, I just want to know if I should be looking at HP next time I need a printer.

8:26 PM  
Blogger scotth said...

Will it be possible to do B&W and colour on the same machine (without purging ink, etc). It might be interesting to see.

4:56 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

I think all the good inkjets can do good B/W. Whether they can do exhibition-quality B/W is a matter of more subtle things, like whether they us all the inks in the image or not. (It is better if they don't, and use predominantly black inks.) (I don't know how this one does it.)

5:15 AM  
Anonymous 01af said...

eolake wrote:
> It's just that I could not
> remember what Epson's A3
> printer was called.

I think you're referring to the Epson Stylus Photo R2400, don't you? It prints up to A3+ size (max 13" width) and uses eight separate inks, among them three blacks (just like the bigger Stylus Pro 4800).

I just made my mind up to buy an R2400---and now that. Sigh ...

8:13 AM  
Blogger DarkPenguin said...

So, 3 years later, you still like it? Not so enthused about mine any more.

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home