The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Friday, March 24, 2006

Pixel Genius: All You Need

By Carl Weese

Sharpening, like old fashioned burning and dodging, is a great example of the propensity of photographers to screw up by doing too much, rather than by doing too little. Digital imaging just makes it all that much easier to do too much.

No classes needed, though. My recommendation—just buy Pixel Genius PhotoKit Sharpener and use as directed. Unless you are doing a serious upsizing of the image, in which case you need to play with the intermediate "creative sharpeners," you can simply apply the correct standard capture and output sharpeners for the camera type and printer/file-res you are using and forget about it. Really. The system works, on the defaults, with any well-shot file. The only time you'd need to do much with the sub-controls is when fixing a bad shot.

That's for inkjet printing. When prepping files for web viewing I think their defaults are too much, so I cut the opacity to 50% and have even written a batch that just does that automatically when I want to prep a set of RAW or JPEG files for web use.

I have no connection to Pixel Genius at all, other than as a customer.

Posted by CARL WEESE


2 Comments:

Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

After trying out Pixel Genius I found it cheaper to just read this article by Bruce Fraser and apply its principles:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html

Does require some rudimentary knowledge of PS but that knowledge builds upon and improves talent in other areas of the digital darkroom workflow, which is never a bad thing. Plus, applying the steps yourself allows customized tweaking and a better approach overall, IMO.

However, for those wanting the steps "automated", or do not have sufficient PS knowledge Pixel Genius does look like a decent product.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used PKS since, I believe, it came out and I think that it is one plug-in that was worth the price. It's one less "chore" that I have to concern myself with, which allows me more time to devote to the best presentation of the image.

Al Benas

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home