The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Must-Have

A recent item at Vincent Oliver's photo-i website reminded me that the second edition of Harald Johnson's superb Mastering Digital Printing has been out for a while now.

In Vincent's review he says, "The book shelves are buckling with books on Photoshop and digital photography, you name it and you can find at least half a dozen books covering the topic. I concluded they all have the same content, the words are just printed in a different order. So something has to be very special to grab my attention, and extra special for me to get my credit card out."

So true. (And I would add, "same as it ever was," since many how-to books about traditional film photography are the same way.) However, this book is one of the exceptions. It's undoubedly one of the top-ten must have books for serious digital photographers; and it's one of the books I've learned the most from personally. It's not the most fun book to read—very nuts-and-boltsy—but the slighter higher level of attention you have to put into it will pay off big time.

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Featured Comment: davenew said, "I'll just add that many 'must have' digital photography books, including Harald Johnson's Digital Printing Start-Up Guide although not the above title, can all be read online by getting a Safari subscription at O'reilly. I've had one for a couple of years now, and I'm slowly eliminating a larger collection of print books I had accumulated (rather expensively), as they go obsolete.

"I guarantee it's more fun to go from a bookshelf of PSCS-related books to the latest PSCS2 versions, without having to spend hundreds of dollars. For $30 a month, you can have 20 books on your virtual bookshelf (rotate titles once monthly, if you wish), and 'chits' to download various useful chapters in PDF format.

"Aside from this title, I have ones like
Real World Color Management, Real World Camera Raw, and a couple of Scott Kelby's excellent PS books, as well as the DAM (Digital Asset Management) book.

"All gems, and accessible from anywhere I can get Internet access."



Thanks for the great tip, Dave —MJ

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave New said...

I'll just add that this book, as well as other 'must have' digital photography books can all be read online by getting a Safari subscription at Oreilly. I've had one for a couple of years now, and I'm slowly eliminating a larger collection of print books I had accumulated (rather expensively), as they go obsolete.

I guarantee it's more fun to go from a bookshelf of PSCS-related books to the latest PSCS2 versions, without having to spend hundreds of dollars. For $30 a month, you can have 20 books on your virtual bookshelf (rotate titles once monthly, if you wish), and 'chits' to download various useful chapters in PDF format.

Aside from this title, I have ones like 'Real World Color Management', 'Real World Camera Raw', and a couple of Scott Kelby's excellent PS books, as well as the DAM (Digital Asset Management) book.

All gems, and accessible from anywhere I can get Internet access.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Dave New said...

Oops. I mispoke slightly -- the Harald Johnson book I have on my Safari bookshelf is the Digital Printing Start-Up Guide, rather than the more extensive book mentioned here. I actually have purchased both the 1st and 2nd print editions of the Mastering Digital Printing book. Well worth the price, but if would be nice if an online edition of it was carried by Safari, as well.

8:59 AM  
Blogger kingh said...

I clicked on the title of the book in the original post, opening Amazon page, and gleefully ordered the book, only to find out a few weeks later as I was reading along that I had ordered the first edition, not the new second edition. I am a bit miffed that I was somewhat misled by the link to Amazon. I wonder if anyone else had the experience of unwittingly buying the first edition?

10:28 PM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Kingh,
I am REALLY sorry--that has got to be my screwup. But I'm also really surprised--I could have sworn I checked that link at least twice to make sure it went to the right edition. I specifically remember checking the cover between the illustration and the linked page to make sure they were the same, too.

I'm tempted to blame this on Amazon but heck, it's HTML. It must have been my fault. Really sorry for the inconvenience.

--Mike

11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home