The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

B&WP Portfolio

King of the Back Seat, 1996, from the B&WP feature

I'm pleased to announce that a portfolio of my personal work has been published in the February 2006 issue of the U.K. Black & White Photography magazine.

I've been writing about photography since 1988 and have published more than a hundred articles in various magazines, and hundreds more online, but this marks the first time that my photography has been published in a photography magazine simply for its own sake. (Nothing about cameras, developers, or working methods, just this once....)

The article and portfolio briefly tell the story of the highly unusual manner in which I became a single parent.

Black & White Photography, for which I also write a regular monthly column, is usually available in the U.S. in Barnes and Noble bookstores, and might also be on sale at other large bookstores or newsstands. The February '06 issue is already on sale in the U.K. and has been mailed to subscribers, but since it is published in England, U.S. outlets naturally lag behind the publication date in setting it out. However, it ought to be out on most U.S. store shelves sometime in the next few days.

Subscriptions are also available through Amazon.

I'm very pleased with how the piece worked out and hope you'll have a look!

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

6 Comments:

Blogger Ade said...

Mike,

As a newish father myself, I just wanted to say how incredibly affecting I found your feature. The photos are great candid, slice-of-life family shots, but the backstory helps to make them so much more too. Best wishes to you and Zander.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

I subscribe to B&WP and generally enjoy your articles, but this months was special. I read it with a mixture of laughter & tears and kept reading excerpts to my wife. The photos illustrating the text stood by themselves but meant so much more when you understood the story behind them.

Keep up the good work and all the best to you both.

2:51 AM  
Blogger eolake said...

I concur. Great piece. Well done.

8:16 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Thank you all kindly. This has been especially fun because I have gotten a lot of reaction from people I know who don't normally have any interest in my photography writings. It's also a bit of a "trial balloon," as I'm working on a book structured along the same principles as this article--pictures and words both.

Mike

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Arnaud said...

It is the first time I have my wife read an article in B&W (or in any photo magazine for that matter) and it seems to have convinced her as she started reading the rest of the magazine and even some of my back issues :)

Very nice article indeed and as I'll become a father in a few months, I'll try to follow some of the advice (and not buy a reusable camera for the occasion)

7:53 AM  
Anonymous carstenw said...

shit, that was you! okay, i am behind here, but i own and read that issue, and especially your article, and i remember how i thought that you had such guts to do what you did. it would have been so easy to just adopt him away, justifying how impossible it would be to fit him in your life. congratulations, on the article, on this website, and most of all, on keeping zander.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home