The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Why Not Acratech?

I received several emails yesterday asking, why not Acratech for a lightweight ballhead? The Acratech Ultimate Ballhead (that's its product name) is one that Steve Kossack has written about on Luminous Landscape and praised. It does look fascinating. My reason for not choosing it aren't significant; it's just that 1) I've never used one; 2) actually, I've never even seen one; 3) it's heavier than the Really Right Stuff BH-25; 4) It's more expensive than the RRS BH-25.

It might also be better than the RRS BH-25, more comparable functionally to the larger RRS BH-40, with which its weight is roughly equal and price actually favorable ($280 for the Acratech vs. $345 for the BH-40).

Bear in mind also that I'm not a big tripod user. Landscape'n'critter photogs use tripods constantly, and the use of long lenses, which I never use (and don't even own), complicates the choice of a tripod head considerably (many long-lens photographers have two tripod heads, one for big lenses and one for smaller ones).

But I like the looks of the Acratech. Now, tell me again, how did I get into writing about tripod heads?

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Featured Comment: Paul Watson says, "You said something negative about the 'Borg cube,' had to back it up to be constructive and now you can never go back. Next you'll have to validate your choice of bolt locking fluid." Amen, Paul.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Watson said...

You said something negative about the "Borg cube", had to back it up to be constructive and now you can never go back. Next you'll have to validate your choice of bolt locking fluid.

9:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home