The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at www.theonlinephotographer.com!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Who the Heck Is...


COSMIN BUMBUT?

Short Take: Young (b. 1968), prolific Romanian photographer just beginning to be known elsewhere. Graduate of the Theatre and Film Academy in Bucharest, and has won awards for both fashion and advertising photography in Romania. His book Transit won "Art Book of the Year" at the Romanian National Book Fair in 2003.

A Taste: "Passengers, Baia Mare–Cluj, Romania" (shown. Click on the image to see it larger; it's better a little bigger). Original print available from Photo-Eye in an edition of 26, $560. Prints made by inkjet from scanned negs.

Textbite: "I took up photography because at that time my mind was free. Now, after thirteen years the only thing I know is how to put a rectangle to my eyes and play with the shapes and lights that dwell inside of it. In my photos I have been trying to express tactile vicinity where the onlooker is invited to share the same feeling I had when I released the shutter. I have been searching for a concrete photography, of a pure instrumentality; my task is to record and set a limit to the existent, the banal, the simple. The photos from the 'Transit' series describe an important stage of my life when I was a university student and a train commuter somewhere in the northern region of Transylvania. It was foggy, cold and I was often a stowaway in the strange company of miners and peasants, but my camera and I were inseparable." (Artist's Statement)

Representative Book: First Book, Transit, published in 2003 by Humanitas, Bucharest. (He developed his film during the project in the common bathroom of a student dorm.)

Website

Posted by: MIKE JOHNSTON

Featured Comment: Richard Sintchak writes, "We've been fortunate to have Cosmin posting at the Contax G Pages since 2002. I've loved his stuff and he's gotten more than a few of his images in the site's Hall of Fame. His gallery is here."

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Great stuff. He was publihed in Lenswork #50, in the December 2003-Jan 2004 issue. He was listed though as Cosmin Bunbutz.

1:37 PM  
Blogger einolu said...

Interesting, thanks for pointing him out!

4:58 PM  
Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

We've been fortunate enough to have Cosmin posting at the Contax G Pages since 2002. I've loved his stuff and he's gotten more than a few of his images in the Contax G site's Hall of Fame. His gallery here:

http://contaxg.com/user.php?id=1661&page=user_images

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home