The Online Photographer

Check out our new site at!

Monday, December 19, 2005

By: Hans Verbrugge

"Hexar," © 2005 by Hans Verbrugge

No particular reason for this, I just liked this shot and thought you might like to see it. It was taken by Hans Verbrugge with a Leica M6 and 35mm ƒ/1.4 Summilux-ASPH on Tri-X at E.I. 1600 and developed in HC-110. (Click on the image to see it larger.)

Posted by MIKE JOHNSTON (my thanks to Hans)


Blogger Richard Sintchak said...

Thanks for sharing this very nice shot Mike. Looks like I've got to work more on my results and stop blaming the HC-110! Just discovered your blog a few days ago and really enjoying it. Now I do not have to wait for my B&W Mag from the UK to arrive to see your latest writing...

9:07 AM  
Blogger Mike Johnston said...

Hi Richard. Don't use's terrible for 135. It's basically a high-energy developer for sheet film. You can get the same effects more reliably by experimenting with dilutions of T-Max Developer...which itself is a good good push-process developer for just about anything BUT the two slower T-Max films. (g)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Hans said...

MJ, I have never used T-Max films or developer, but I have seen Tri-x (which is my primary film) developed in T-Max. Things don't look as smooth as pushes in HC110, or Rodinal. Grain and highlights especially. I understand that results depend on agitation, delution, times and such, but I have yet to see a T-Max developed Tri-x fame that I like. Personal matter, ofcourse.
You can get the same effects more reliably ...
I'm getting consistant results with HC-110, you need to learn how to use it.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home